Monday, October 9, 2017

Review: Tanner Hill vs. Chase Lundquist (88 Wrestling)

It's probably not a huge surprise that I bought both 88 Wrestling debut videos. This evolution of Rock Hard Wrestling intrigued me right away and I was curious to see how it would go. It might be a surprise that I've chosen to review Tanner Hill vs. Chase Lundquist first. I think this makes a more interesting video to review because it doesn't feature anyone I really like.

Tanner Hill makes the move to 88 Wrestling
to face Chase Lundquist

That might sound harsh to Tanner, who I have watched before. And I liked him against Wes(t) Richards (review here). He just hasn't really clicked with me overall in a way that makes me think I really need to watch him again. Well, I think this could be a turning point in that assessment.

Tanner shows up looking good, freeballing in gray trunks. And I mean that. Let's just say he puts it all out there. I also have to remember that this is a new place. Lots of guys play face and heel, jobber and dominant. So when he acts like he's the hottest bad boy since Alex Waters, it's really up to me to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he can prove his swagger is deserved this time.

Opposite Tanner is newbie Chase Lundquist. The blond stud fits the RHW casting profile perfectly. He's a good looking, ripped lightweight, looking very fratboy. He has the cockiness you expect from these boys, but the tone is really set by Tanner. Still, when he's given the chance, Chase does a good job of fitting into the whole 88 Wrestling milieu.

Tanner is looking good ... real good.

Welcome to rookie-do, Chase.

Nice crab.

This match features the veteran Tanner Hill channeling his maximum cockiness against rookie Chase Lundquist as he brings a makeshift tic tac toe board with him to the ring. Each square is a specific finisher, so you can only win using certain moves.

Coincidentally, I've used a move-based game in a story appearing next year (BIGBeast 5). I say that, because I do believe that it's an interesting concept. However, I'm not sure it adds anything to this video or that it's necessary in this debut match for the new group. Tanner and Chase could likely carry a standard match and make it hot without the gimmick.

My proof is that this is a pretty good match on its own. I'm using a Rock Hard Wrestling scale to judge this, but I was a big fan. If you like RHW, you will likely like the guys, the gear and the action, gimmick or not. Tanner is comfortable and compelling here, driving the match. As a rookie, Chase does pretty well.

This match adds a gimmick based on Tic Tac Toe

Chase gets bent.

The classic snap suplex carries over.

As you can see from the pics, there's a lot happening here. Most of the standard RHW moves are here - suplex, crab, bearhug, camel, etc. The guys look good in them. Both sell the pain and both are cocky jocks, just like you'd expect. And Tanner's having fun, based on how much his thin gray trunks are tenting during the video. I guess he's trying to win new fans.

Speaking of looks, the video looks pretty good, too. It doesn't have the clean, crisp, bright look of RHW1.0. In my opinion, you simply can't beat black curtains with the right lighting when you feature white muscleboys. Still, things are clear, even with white walls and more shadows.

Chase brings out the boxing gloves.

Tanner seems to be having fun.

Ooh, somebody gets the game.
Schoolboy pin is the center square!

In the end, I enjoyed this with or without the gimmick. I'm interested to see where 88 Wrestling goes as they try to chart their own path. I'm sure they're hoping that future reviews don't mention RHW at all, but it felt relevant as things transition. I was pleasantly surprised by Tanner Hill who was better than I've seen him before. He does a good job leading the match (and the company, to some extent). Chase is still a blank slate to me, but I'll check him out again.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes...Tanner Hill's bulge...I could not be more pleased. Thanks for commenting on that, and I hope there will be more of those views to come. I know they kind of kept that "angle" out of their matches (except for Ethan Andrews :) ) but for me...that's a sell. Love the website, take care, and be well. Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott! I agree with you that it was a selling point. The only other gear like this that I can remember was Bruce's light blue vs. Alex and Dash's red trunks. However, Tanner showed both those up. Of course, they didn't really do anything except use light, stretchy gear. The rest was all Tanner. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, Alex!
    Love the blog!
    Also love "Tanner",.....
    Is there any background info on this hottie??
    Thanks for all you do,
    madasman
    madras760@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You’re welcome. I usually don’t know anything about the wrestlers beyond the videos and that’s true of Tanner. RHW/88W is the only place I’ve seen him.

      Delete
    2. hi-does anyone know if tanner hill aka cena has retired? they just seem to fall off the face of the earth. thanks for the blog.

      Delete