Saturday, May 5, 2018

Review: #590 Austin Tyler vs. Miles (UCW)

Of all the underground groups, I'd say that UCW has been the most consistent. They know who they are and what they do well. Week after week, they've done this for years. Heck, they're closing in on a whopping 600 videos. So imagine my surprise when they went into a ring. What? Yeah, apparently UCW is evolving.

It's too early to judge the shift. I don't even know if the future is a mix of venues or if the garage days are over. However, I can judge the first ring match I've bought, the amazing Austin Tyler vs Miles, a newcomer to UCW, but not to wrestling.

Austin checks out the newest UCW stud, Miles.

Austin Tyler is just one of those guys I'm totally into right now. I think he's sexy as hell, whether he's standing around, beating on a guy or suffering in a big hold. The indie wrestling stud always looks his best in simple, bright trunks. That's the case here, with Austin in blue trunks that show off his strong legs, smooth torso and sculpted arms.

Miles fits right in with the UCW aesthetic. He's long, lean and ripped. And he's cocky and fun. The rookie switches up his personality to suit the moment, which is perfect for the chaotic vibe UCW goes for. I was amused from the start when he goes from nasty to jovial to diabolical in the span of ten seconds. Or when he's being a little crazy. Like telling Austin not to take the pain of his sore leg out on him (despite causing it) and offering to help Austin fight “the ghost” who hurt his knee. Yeah, that's very UCW.

Austin's rocking his blue trunks.

Miles' thin orange trunks get a workout.

Love that smooth, sultry torso.

While the guys fit the classic UCW look and attitude, this ring deal will take me some time to get used to. I'm starting my ring match experience with two indie pro wrestlers. This might automatically give it a different feel, even if it was in the garage. But I do think the setting makes a difference. The garage is tight. Closed in. Solid. The ring is big and airy. You slam into a wall and it's OUCH! You slam into ropes and it's BOING! There's no escaping the garage. You can slide outside the ring. The mat is two-dimensional. The ring is three-dimensional. So definitely an adjustment, like clicking on a UCW video, but Wrestler4Hire opens up.

As I'm watching this, I'm really enjoying it. The guys work well together, the action is crisp and the soundtrack of grunting and chatter is working hard. Austin proves himself again. I don't want to shortchange him, because he's great, but I feel like I've said it all. Meanwhile, newbie Miles is slick, brutal and understands domination. He uses his feet to mock Austin when he's down. He grabs Austin’s man-bun and pulls him up by it. Fantastic.

The ring adds a new dimension to UCW action.

The man-bun makes a great handle.

The ropes add a new way to punish each other.

There are a lot of small things to love, too. I love the way Austin moves around, like a Tarzan or Spider-man as he climbs the corner. The guys actually remember what's supposed to hurt. Things like that get me going, because I love seeing guys hopping around after leg torture or grabbing their backs. It keeps me in the moment and their vulnerability is sexy.

So, it's a really good match. After it's done, though, I think it's not very UCW. Yeah, there's ball grabs or whatever, but if I just popped it on and didn't know the source, I don't know that I'd know it's UCW. And while action feels different from what I expected, it's more about the fact that it feels less unique. I think UCW owned a very specific style. I think that I could see this same match somewhere else. It's not a problem, but it's noteworthy to me.

C'mon, Austin's a man, not a foot rest!

Begging doesn't work in UCW, Miles.

Miles loves his moments in control.

In the end, I really liked the match and that's what matters. The guys are great, the action is great and the camerawork is great. There's chemistry and chaos, bending and breaking. Everything works. I just don't know how ‘UCW’ it is, but I also don't know if that's important. I'd say buy it for everything that's right about it and don't worry about where it came from.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment