Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Quick Hits: Cooper v King + Ace v Quivers (W4H)

I'm reviewing these two videos from Wrestler4Hire together for a reason. It was hard to review these 'matches' because there's not a lot to say, but I did want to cover them. They're very focused scenarios starring three popular studs and one familiar archetype.

It's two focused fights for your pleasure.


I don't think the question on a singular-minded video like either of these is "is it good?" in a broad sense, but "is it good in the context of what it's designed to do?" I'll likely never understand buying an obvious squash if you hate squashes or a certain wrestler if you've never liked them before or a mat match when you only like ring action, etc. Why not save your time and money?

But in these cases, maybe you DO like the idea, but you just don't know about the execution. What then? Well, maybe I can help. For today's matches, I would say that if you think you're into the scenarios, you'll probably like these. If you're not, you won't. Simple right? What are the scenarios? Let's find out ...

Austin Cooper vs. Kelly King

King has fun. Will you?

Talk about focused. Austin Cooper is stretching in the ring wearing tight and tiny orange trunks. Kelly King, wearing unflattering puffy yellow briefs, sneaks up behind him and locks on a sleeper. This is about 30 minutes of King attacking and knocking out Coop. There are at least six knockouts (but maybe more, I actually didn't count).

Do you want to see that? If yes then this is the video for you.

The action is mainly chokes and sleepers, but there is a little more than that in between. Other than a couple of desperate gut attacks, Coop's completely powerless against the ruthless and relentless attack by the beefy pro wrestler. King enjoys toying with Coop right from the start, taunting and teasing him in between ordering him to go to sleep.

Personally, I watched this in stages rather than all the way through. Coop going out from King's cruel chokes is hot, but it's repetitive. I enjoyed it as multiple vignettes of snackable content when I wanted a quick fix of sexy superstar stud suffering.

Coop cries cheater, but King doesn't care.

Stop choking yourself. Stop choking yourself.

How many ways can one hunk get knocked out?

There's no escape for Coop.

Unconscious Coop has his uses.


Ace Owens vs. Max Quivers

Can you guess where this one is going?

This 20-minute video feels like a common storyline. You've got pro stud Ace Owens in skimpy gold briefs and sneakers. He meets up with the aggressive and mountainous Max Quivers in a suit and tie. Max takes control of the ring right away, criticizing the young rookie and acting as drill sergeant. Ace is completely confused by what's going on. Like any good horror movie, he doesn't run for his life, instead hanging out and paying the price.

Of course, the big man dominates poor little Ace, squashing him (almost) completely. Max uses brutal body attacks and classic submission moves. Ace get put through the ringer over and over again until he's left wrecked in the ring. When the jobber gets defiant, he suffers even more. At times, the camera work is quite tight, which is unusual for W4H, but it works well here. You get nice closeups of Ace's suffering.

If you want to see a young prettyboy squashed by a big beefy beast, you should like this. There are obviously other themes at play other than size and roles. You've got a masked villain against a fresh-faced hero type. You've got a clothed male punishing a nearly nude male. And there are more, but you get the point. I often like adding my own unspoken dimensions to these types of videos and the options here are plentiful.

Ace gets a lesson he wasn't expecting.

Ace: "I thought we were just locking up."
Max: "I didn't pay to lock up. I paid to beat the shit out of you."

Oh, hi, Ace.

Max: "I thought you liked old school."
Ace: "Not any more!"

Max: "I paid good money for your ass."

In the end, both of these are successful in their mission. If you like squashes, these studs and these storylines, I think you'll like them.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

6 comments:

  1. Here is my take, since you asked... I love squash jobs as much as the next wrestling addict, but it's possible for a squash to be TOO one-sided. The jobber can't just fall down at the opening bell, then lay there moaning for 27 minutes, letting his body get dragged around like a limp rag-doll. Is ANYBODY into that, really? It's like being with a dead lay -- at least pinch a nip or lick my face or SOMEthing. We want to see some fight in the jobber so we can get behind him, some "Hope Spots", some active suffering rather than passive suffering. I think in recent months, there has been a batch of these ragdoll stomps which have felt a bit too simplistic, is that the word? Too one-sided? Too lazy on the jobber's part? How about this: the matches don't feel real enough to be a turn-on because NOBODY could be that passive and submissive when in a fight. However, I just saw a superb W4H match between Ronnie Pearl and Ace Owens. Oh jeez -- this one is perfection! Both guys just kill it in their roles. Yes, its a squash, but not 100% so. Their moves, their gear, their attitudes, the holds, just great! I am wanting to blog about it on Wrestling Arsenal, but I can never get through 5 minutes without needing to stop, catch my breath, and take a break. I'll keep trying though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your take. I think a lot is in the execution so I tend not to have any absolutes. I do agree about lifeless jobbers, but I’ve seen some 100% squashes that I’ve loved. In one way, they take me back to being a kid on Saturday mornings. If there’s a reason for the guy to go down hard and fast then stay down, I could like it.

      This Ace/Ronnie match is getting a lot of praise. Hopefully it’ll come on W4H streaming soon.

      Delete
  2. I prefer 100% squash jobs, but don't want a lazy jobber. I tend to get distracted and just fast forward past "hope spots". I understand your complaint but the non-squash parts for me are just filler that requires me to fast-forward through to get back to the good parts and kill the momentum of the video for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. That’s an interesting take. I fast forward, too, but with action killers like arm wrestling, posing and sex.

      Delete
  3. Definitely to each his own. I personally am really into posing. I love when an arrogant stud takes a few moments to flex his bulging muscles while his opponent is stunned on the floor. And stuff like cocky hip swiveling really gets me going! I guess it kind of heightens the character for me. I also love "forced to flex" videos, where the dominant fighter commands his out-matched adversary to flex his muscles while he suffers. There's something particularly humiliating about the extra attention being drawn to the loser's impressive yet ineffectual physique.

    Anyway, thanks for writing about these two videos! I already own and really enjoy King vs Cooper. You're definitely making me consider Owens vs Quivers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome.

      You’re absolutely right on dominant posing. I was actually thinking of Thunders-style posing when the guys just stop wrestling and both run through their flexing routines. I consider dominant posing as part of the action.

      Delete