Sunday, November 4, 2018

Review: Halloween Havoc 2018 (Thunders Arena)

Full disclosure: These videos were provided to me by Thunders Arena.

The Simpsons' "Treehouse of Horror" is one of the greatest rituals of Halloween, running for almost 30 years. For about ten of those years, the special actually aired on the Sunday AFTER Halloween in November. They did it because of the World Series and this year gives me more appreciation for their scheduling dilemma.

Why? Because here we are on the first Sunday after the big day and I'm highlighting a 13-year gay wrestling video Halloween ritual. Thunders Arena sent me the four 2018 videos, but they came on 10/29 and you know my schedule is full at the end and beginning of every month with a Who's Who, a preview and a story. This is my first opening to talk Halloween.

Did any of this year's Halloween videos grab me?
(Cason + Eagle w/Bolt)

I think Thunders made the right call this year, sticking with simple costumes and stories. I know they've invested in elaborate makeup and gore before, but that's not what I buy their videos to see. I'm not really turned on by ugly monsters, blood or extreme violence, so those videos failed to inspire me. This year, all the guys look great and the costumes are either minimal or get stripped off.

My favorite of the four was Cason + Eagle in a Scream-inspired video. The theme is perfect for a wrestling video, it's executed well, the guys are great and there are solid moves in this squash. Cason (in the Ghostface role) crushes the bleached blonde muscleman, using his legs, arms and the pool. Eagle and Cason have a strong rapport, having worked great together before. And as a bonus, Bolt makes an early cameo, too. Perfect.

I'm glad they ditched the robe for their Ghostface.

See, sexy scary is the way to go.

Don't worry, Eagle gets crushed, not killed.

The remaining three are more standard fair with some costume roleplay, although there are a couple of nice ideas. The least interesting for me was Blayne + Ludwig, because of the costumes and lack of a compelling hook. Blayne's always watchable but both guys appear in two videos this year and both are better in their other one. However, if Blayne faces Ludwig in a regular match, I'll be interested.

Bulky costumes eventually get peeled off.

Pirate Blayne is a badass.

A more interesting video is Blayne + Mystery Man. Both studs are in masks. Blayne's checking out his opponent, sensually feeling up his torso and legs. My favorite parts of this one happen before the masks come off, but it's standard Thunders action from start to finish. I just like the whole notion of the power of masks as a way to let yourself go.

Anonymity sure is liberating, right guys?

Nothing's off limits when you're masked.

Things are very Thunders ...
submission holds and flexing.

Last up is my second favorite of the group. Cash + Ludwig uses a familiar sexy theme - cop vs. bad boy. Cash uses his badge to bust his way in then punishes the beefy punk Ludwig. The ending features a perp walk out front for the poser-attired Ludwig, giving the neighbors a thrill, I'm sure. It's an erotic scenario that uses dress up roleplay right.

Uh, got a warrant tucked in those trunks, copper?

Well, do things check out?

Time for some justice.

Ludwig fought the law and the law won.

In the end, I don't know how this year's crop sold versus last year's, but for me, the Cason + Eagle one is the perfect approach to use. It's very Treehouse of Horror, actually. Just like those put a spooky Simpsons spin on pop culture, this one is pure Thunders Arena goodness with a horror-inspired twist that stays sexy and fun.

The Cash + Ludwig theme is a great idea that could be done any time and more than once. Cash makes a nice cop, so let's see him bust some of the other poser-wearing studs and parade them out of the house. Based on random comments that have been made here and there, it sounds like there are at least a couple of law breakers hanging around Thunders.

And Blayne-Mystery Man is interesting for exploring the idea that when you wear a mask, inhibitions can fade away and you can be more free. Of course, I wish it went further with the idea, but it's Thunders so I get why it doesn't.

What did other (more timely) bloggers say?



So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex



2 comments:

  1. Comparing the Cason-Eagle match to The Simpsons Halloween Specials was the PERFECT analogy! You're absolutely right: Thunder's took an already-established story and put their own unique spin on it just like The Simpsons does. Both are Halloween traditions I look forward to every year!

    -JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m glad it made sense. Hopefully it sells great and they use it as a model for next year.

      Delete