Saturday, November 24, 2018

Review: Lane Hartley vs. Kid Karisma (BGEast)

It's been a while since I was interested in all three matches on a BGEast compilation. The last one might actually have been Ty Alexander's Spotlight way back in March. Well, catalogue 132 is closing out the year on a high note with Ringwars 30. It has two must-buys - Ty Alexander vs. Brendan Byers (reviewed here) and Lane Hartley vs. Kid Karisma. And the third match features the incredible Mr. Joshua Goodman.

It's little heel vs. big pro.

I don't need to say much on the wrestlers. Both Lane Hartley and Kid Karisma are popular and well-known studs in the ring. Lane's a big gorgeous pro hunk. He went through an unfortunate caveman phase, but here, he's looking his best - handsome, clean cut and his wrestler's body is in perfect fighting shape. While Kid is much smaller, he's ripped as usual, flaunting his award-winning physique from the get-go.

Love Lane's body.

Lane's beef is beautiful.

Lane tries to help Kid earn another best body award.

Both guys usually play the heel, but Kid starts out with more arrogance and obvious contempt, setting him up in the prime heel role. Given that Lane's bigger and a pro wrestler, I kind of expected him to dominate the match, but he's jobbed to smaller and Kid's a superstar at BGEast. Other combat sports need weight classes, but this is pro wrestling which is never limited by such trivialities.

In this case, Lane and Kid are positioned as equals, with Kid being more dominant thanks to his aggressiveness, smart strategy, cheating and skillful counters. Both guys get their moments of control and make the most of them. Lane's suffering and weakness against the small hunk is hotter to me than the opposite, anyway.

Up and over. BOOM!

The little guy shows he's powerful, too.

Lane gives Kid a free ride.

Action-wise, things are good. There's some sloppiness at the beginning, which I think is due to their style and size differences. It mostly resolves itself and the guys settle into a rhythm. Lane's methodical while Kid's a quick striker. Lane's able to manhandle Kid while Kid works a more grounded style of submission moves.

The pro's power moves are, of course, impressive, but I'm most impressed by Kid's ability to handle all that beef. I mentioned his counters, which are smooth and help the credibility of his domination. Lane plays the submissive really well, moaning and selling the smaller stud's submission moves.

It takes work to keep a big man down.

Lane's size and power make every move hurt.

Kid decides it's time to choke a bitch, using the string
from his wrist gauntlet to level the playing field.

In the end, this was a good pro-style match. I liked how it played out and, of course, the guys are great looking. I wouldn't say there's chemistry between them, but they're both consummate pros and it shows as they deliver a solid, exciting and ultimately satisfying match.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

10 comments:

  1. Wow!!!
    These images are mind blowing... particularly Lane in the ropes... and I would buy this match (and the compilation perhaps) in a heartbeat...Or a click!
    If only BG came into this century and offered downloads.
    Im not going to "wait for a dvd in the mail" anymore (particularly with the inflated postage at BG) and I’m not going pay for their "arena" that I can’t stream on my smart TV.
    It seems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the images.

      I hear you. Sometimes I think BGEast just doesn’t want my money. I don’t spend as much with them as I do with others. And if not for the blog, I’d spend even less. Sometimes I bite the bullet just to have the content to talk about.

      Delete
  2. What I don't like about BGEast's streaming videos is the quality. Some of them are way too dark and blurry to watch, very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. They don’t come through HD. I get it on older videos, but I’m never sure if the newer ones look like they do because of how they’re shot or how they’re streamed. I always tempted to try to fix the blog pics in edit, but then I think that’d be deceptive.

      Delete
  3. Two of my favorite BGEast stars these days, one against the other? Mmmhh, I am not sure if I totally like the outcome of the match. I really like both but I'd have loved Lane to put Kid on his place.

    Now that this match has happened, I think the Master should pair them as a tag against two jobbers. Lets say them vs Barnes and Sorell? Epic demolition as I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be epic demolition!

      I think Dev Michaels is the only guy I’ve really seen put heel Kid in his place. Of course, Lane could’ve done it, but that wasn’t the story. Maybe BGEast thinks he’s too pretty not to suffer. :)

      Delete
    2. Kid gets destroyed in THE GREAT OUTDOORS 1: Kid Karisma vs Hoyt Riley. One fucking hot submission match.

      Delete
    3. Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll check it out.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful men, they deserve recognition! Thanks

    ReplyDelete