Saturday, May 23, 2015

Review: The Contract Series (BGE)

I wrote several posts for Bard's old Sidelineland blog. I've decided to re-post some of them here, as part of consolidating my content.

Inspiration: A Contract Worth Signing


Like most people, I hate signing contracts. Whether it's for cell phones, cable or the gym, companies love to lock us in then treat us like crap. BGEast is the exception, of course. They have a contract I was happy to sign. Not just once, but a whopping ten times.




For those that don't know, The Contract is a fantastic series that stars Brad Rochelle, a true superstar. If there were a Hall of Fame for BGEast icons, he'd get in on the first ballot for sure. This is Brad at his best - believable as face and heel, victim and victor, dominator and jobber.


Brad gets duped

Brad gets punished

Brads had enough

Brads in charge

I love Brad's nearly unmatched range in skill, attitude, flexibility and personality. He's at his bendy best throughout. The beatdown from the Enforcer stands out for me, as does Brad's initiations of studs like Alexi and Braden.

I love the long form storytelling aspect, which is so unique. Rock Hard Wrestling and Thunder's Arena do have wrestlers reference past encounters, but it's not quite the same feel.

I love the evolution of Brad's character during the series from hapless victim to malevolent mastermind.

And I love Brad's opponents. They include a who's who of BGEast talent, from established stars to emerging talent to debuts by future favorites:

Kid Leopard

BBW

Aryx Quinn

Jonny Firestorm

The Enforcer

Cameron Matthews

Braden Charron

Obviously I'm a huge fan of serialized wrestling drama. It's most of what I write. So I'd love to see more series like this. Given the way these things work, what any company should do is either complete the entire series in one filming or at least film a concluding chapter in case the rest never gets filmed. I think people would be forgiving of changing bodies and hair styles to get closure. We're used to it.

What are your thoughts? Love or hate The Contract? Would you like to see more series? Weigh in through the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the Contract! The success has to do a lot with Brad Rochelle, and I question if we have someone who can fill his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Brad was the perfect guy for this series. I'm not sure if it would've been the same with anyone else.

      As for filling his shoes, it's a good question. I think there's a lot of guys who could do it, but it's so different now. The whole landscape is different, with a lot more sites and more guys.

      Delete