Friday, May 11, 2018

Review: Ethan Andrews vs. Rex Bedford (88Wrestling)

Full disclosure: This video was provided to me by 88Wrestling.

I believe that I have Ethan Andrews videos from seven different companies now (BGE, 8W, MOV, MBW, RHW, UCW, W4H). I think that's tied for the most with Austin Cooper/Frey (BGE, Can-Am, 8W, JFRHW, TAW4H). The guy definitely gets around. Outside of UCW and Movimus, he's usually a cocky, nasty heel. And he's usually a winner, unless he's facing an even tougher heel.

The frequent and varied videos means I've seen a lot of Ethan. Part of keeping things fresh is trying new things, like Ethan Andrews vs. Rex Bedford. It's the second ‘Tic Tac Toe’ match that I've seen (first one reviewed here). Guys are required not to just win, but win in a specific way. TTT can only end in one of three ways: win-lose-draw. So, which one is this?

Boys playing games.


You'd think that there might be some Ethan burnout, but so far, I'm still enjoying his unique vibe, regardless of where he appears. He works smoothly with a lot of different types of guys, knows his wrestling and is easy on the eyes, especially in bulge-displaying gear. Here, he's the calm, cool and cruel heel, gleefully anticipating destroying Rex.

Rex Bedford is the exact type of guy we expect to see here. He's small, young and ripped, just a mop haircut away from winning a Jake Jenkins lookalike contest. Now, he's not Jake in terms of presence, just looks. I've seen him a couple of times between RHW and here, but he hasn't had that breakout match, yet. They say he's an MMA guy, but I feel like he's been more adorable jobber than intimidating cage fighter.

Ethan gets more than he bargained for.

Rex has an awesome little body.

Rex gets a great view
while giving Ethan a big slam.

Ethan's on a quest for Tito’s KOTR belt, mowing down the home-grown talent like a sweaty, sexy gardener pushing a lawnmower under the blazing sun while you lustfully watch from the window before you kindly offer him a glass of iced tea, which he gulps down in one long chug as condensation drips onto his smooth torso, the cold water causing his pecs to involuntarily twitch and his eight-pack abs to tighten.

Regardless of what you think of that narrative (the one where Ethan dominates the local talent, not the gardener one), it's a pretty clear story and I don't expect Rex to break up the master heel’s march for the gold. However, this is far less squashy than I expect as Rex puts up a fight. By the time we're at the fifth round, with things tied, I'm both surprised and impressed.

As I opined in my Nick Flex/Ethan review, I think it's a mistake for places like MBW and 8W to diminish their own studs for a freelancer, so it's good that they give Rex a decent showing.

Ethan shows Rex the ropes.

Ethan can wear Rex down with this version of a crab,
but he can't win with it. It's not on the board.

I get this is a real hold, but it's
seriously sexy.

The action is solid. Rex shows some of his promised skills, executing some nice moves, including takedowns and submission holds. Ethan always knows how to deliver pain, but he also knows how to sell it. I'll admit that I prefer seeing Rex stretched out and abused, but knowing he's a capable fighter makes it a lot hotter for me than if he's just a pretty doormat. It adds tension and intensity to the entire video.

Now that's a pro takedown,
right onto the shoulder.

I can't help but enjoy seeing Rex like this.

Can Rex make Ethan scream three times?

In the end, I enjoyed this five-fall match. It could be a breakthrough for young Rex. He's still more adorable than intimidating, but he managed to show off his abilities the best I've seen. Ethan probably deserves some credit for that. Like Frey at Thunders, he's a reliable veteran with a lot of experience working with new talent. I think it shows as he makes Rex look good, while still maintaining his own personal heel brand.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading this blog everyday especially the stories you make.

    I found a wrestling guy on internet, do you know anything about him?
    https://scotthamiltonloveboys.tumblr.com/image/171532444184

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I don't know that guy. I don't follow amateur wrestling at all. I tried googling variations on Italian amateur wrestlers, olympians, heavyweights, but only came up with Daigoro Timoncini and they don't look alike to me. Sorry.

      Delete