Friday, May 18, 2018

One-Hit Wonders Part 2

In my first one-hit wonders (1HW) post (here), I said I was going to feature five of them. I covered two, so that leaves how many? Yes, three. Good job. Today's studs all faced great opponents that I'm sure many of you will remember. In fact, their opponents’ looks, personas and reputations are a big part of why I remember the 1HWs. That's not a knock. No wrestler can succeed on his own.

And it's not all about their opponents. Each of these 1HWs personally showed me the skill, personality and looks to succeed, but none of them ever even got to a second match, much less became a star. Still, their lone appearance makes them part of wrestling history and worthy of being remembered and recognized.

Eric Moreira: Fantasymen 26

Eric Moreira. 6'2"/186-lbs.

I'll admit that a large part of what makes this 1HW memorable is the 4HW he's facing. On a per match basis, Kid Brock would be tough to beat for popularity. It sure feels like he did a lot more than just four matches. The 6'1"/225-lbs muscleman was ahead of his time, because Thunders would've been all over his muscular ass. And Eric is the lucky beneficiary of getting to work with the bodybuilder jobber and impress me with his muscle-crushing prowess.

The video wastes some time on Kid Brock pumping up on the weight machine pre-match. Kid Brock had the body of a bruiser, but the demeanor of a doormat. Enter Eric. Muscle wins out for a while, but the lanky hunk is strong and sneaky. I love his reversal then the devastating abuse that follows. He convincingly manhandles the big muscleman and wins me over as a heel. Eric has the looks, skill and cruel streak that makes him a trim giant killer. Think of Ethan Andrews. but instead of tearing up the beefcakes for years, Eric never returns.

1HW Speculation: Boredom. When you start with major muscle like Kid Brock, everyone else seems like a step down. Eric wanted someone bigger and better, but by the time someone like that joined the roster, he'd moved on.

Kid Brock's powerful, except for two places:
between his ears and between his legs.

Eric bends the big muscle boy.

Brock's the Kid. Eric's the Man.

Eryc Rage: Rainbow 'Restlers 1

Eryc Rage. 5'7"/170-lbs.

Eryc looks like a big guy everywhere except the stat line. I still can't believe he's so tiny. He is built big and he certainly wrestles big in this match against mature muscleman Powergunz (an 11HW).

I remember this match because I love seeing Eryc dominate Powergunz. In my head, it's a squash, but it's not. As much as I like Powergunz as a jobber, he really isn't. It's just that his most memorable matches are against the best heels of his time. The guy was a burly daddy-type who looked rough and ready at all times, but was willing to play along and go down. He's exactly the type of guy who's great to wrestle around with.

So, the parts where Eryc is taking him apart are just hot. I love the arrogance the smaller stud shows as he kicks ass. As you can see, he manages to rack Powergunz. He slaps him around. The 1HW is a good wrestler, powerful and cocky as heck. All the qualities you need to last. At least past one match. I don't think he would've been cast as a kickass heel, but more likely a cocky stud involved in competitive matches, winning and losing along the way.

1HW Speculation: Back strain. Lifting a 215-lbs beast like Powergunz ain't easy, especially when you’re 5’7”/170-lbs.

Eryc's deceptively powerful.

Powergunz gets a lessen in humility.

Eryc looks like a winner, but he's also a 1HW.

Rick Thormack: Ringwars 6

Rick Thormack. 6'/210-lbs.

I've saved the absolute best for last.

The video opens with 43HW Brooklyn Bodywrecker decked out in his black leather Domination gear. At this point, BBW was a god at BGEast. The guy is profile #11 on the site. A hairy, muscular monster who delighted in the total destruction of prettyboys. He's reading a letter (for younger readers, think texts, but longer and on paper). It's from a ‘fan’, complaining about how BBW only faces smaller guys. Yes, there have always been whiners. The difference was that the rest of us didn't have to hear about it. Except for this one.

BBW brings out big Rick Thormack. Big is a relative term. Since most guys were shorter than average back in the day, 6’ and 210-lbs was a veritable giant in underground wrestling. In your everyday life, that's likely close to a regular guy. But I digress. The point is that Rick’s 100% Grade A beef in a simple speedo and BBW is going to use him to prove a point.

The reason why I remember Rick so vividly is the first half of this video. He proves the letter writer right! Rick doesn't just beat BBW. He destroys him. Humiliates him. After crushing the hairy heel, he puts on the guy’s Brooklyn hat, punishes him some more and treats this legend like he was a Troy Baker wannabe. Damn. I never imagined such a thing was possible. Remember, this is BBW, so you need that context. This was likely the hottest thing I'd ever seen at that point and raised Rick’s beefy body onto the podium as the gold medal winner among 1HWs.

There's more to this video, but I don't re-watch that part. However, I've put a couple of images in from the later action because I don't want to be deceptive. Even though I now stop watching mid-way through this big man battle, you should know that the back-half exists.

1HW Speculation: Uh, isn't it obvious? The guy HUMILIATED a master heel then fell victim to his own ego and failed to finish him off. You don't come back after that. Rick is probably still begging for forgiveness as one of BBW’s boys.

Big Rick dominates the mega-heel.

Rick dons BBW's Brooklyn hat.

BBW gets completely humiliated.

Uh oh, maybe Big Rick Thormack went too far.

Yeah, no wonder Big Rick never showed up again.

I love, love, love the first half of the Rick Thormack match. If I was buying one (and the premise is interesting to you), that's the one I'd get. If you've never watched a Kid Brock match, you should. What a body and what a jobber. And Eryc’s match is terrific for more of a back-and-forth battle with contrasts galore as a young stud takes on a mature muscleman.

I have a bunch of new 1HWs to check out from previous posts - Ron Holloway, Brett LansfordGreg Marble, Connor McGlynnGary Myers, Mack O'Malley and Tommy Troup. Got any other suggestions?

Alex

2 comments:

  1. I actually really like the second half of Thormack's match, but I always watch it second half first, then the beginning half, so Thormack triumphs in the end.

    I guess for me, a dominant heel's comeback always feels inevitable, so it's not as exciting compared to the earlier thrill of them getting beaten. But watching a jobber get destroyed completely, then somehow bounce back and win is always exhilarating to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really smart. I never thought of that and yet I could totally make that happen with iMovie. Thanks for a brilliant suggestion.

      Delete