Thursday, July 25, 2019

Review: Josh Goodman vs. Brooklyn Bodywrecker (BGEast)

I've learned that some of my favorite classic wrestlers and matches remain my favorites for years. Others don't age that well. And a rare few actually get better over time. I'm not even sure if I really thought of Joshua Goodman vs. BBW as a classic when I first viewed it. It follows a fairly predictable path that I've seen before. And yet, here we are, years later, and I really, really love this match.

Knowing the career trajectories for these two
makes this video even better now than it was.


When this match appeared, BBW was really established as the undisputed top heel in the business. Yes, I said undisputed. Go ahead, try to dispute it. You can't. Don't even try. If you do, you end up like Mr. Joshua who denies having ever heard of BBW, mocks his gear and his age ("Don't you think you're a little old to still be doing this?"). The young buck also calls him "dad", to which BBW has the perfect response ("You just called me dad. You're going to do it again.").

When this match appeared, Mr. Joshua Goodman was a rising BGEast star, having been around for a few years and earning a Wrestler Spotlight, on which this match is the climax. What makes this one even better today than back then is how Mr. Joshua's career has evolved over time. He went from star to superstar, which retroactively makes this brutal and humiliating beatdown even better for me.

Mr. Joshua doesn't know who BBW is,
but he knows how to take him down.

The young heel is a badass, we all know that.

BBW learns who Mr. Joshua is. 

Recently in the comments for the Jonny Firestorm vs. Andy Hammer match (reviewed here), the topic of creative heels came up. I don't know if Brooklyn Bodywrecker is a creative heel in the way I was using it (innovative) or just a really skilled one, but he sure knew how to maximize his opponent's pain and humiliation. Because of that, I think I'd include him on the list, too.

Joshua Goodman gets to feel the full weight of his wrath. The arrogant young stud starts strong, but like all but one heel that I've ever seen face BBW, early dominance doesn't win matches. It all comes crashing down on Mr. Joshua pretty quickly and ends up with him, well, "end up" and left to the master heel's non-existent mercies as he's unceremoniously carried out of the ring room.

I don't think I've ever seen a ballbreaker like this,
but Mr. Joshua's award-winning bulge asked for it.

There are camel clutches and then there's this.

Yes, those are Mr. Joshua's trunks
dangling from BBW's waistband.

Action-wise, this is pretty squashy. Mr. Joshua gets early control, but once he loses it, he loses it. From that moment, the younger muscleman gets mauled, bent and crushed. And it beautiful. BBW adds ball claws, face rakes and bouncing to fan favorite holds. He uses the turnbuckles and ropes to amplify the pain, but also the view of Mr. Joshua's chiseled physique as it's tortured.

The incredible muscle daddy always demolished the best and brightest with style. He enjoyed doing it. You could tell with his charming fourth wall-breaking wink and grin when he had turned his opponent into his toy. This match is no exception and Mr. Joshua earns his punishment.

Mr. Joshua looks great up there on Daddy's shoulders.

Night-night, Mr. Joshua.

Gotta love BBW's style. Go for it, Daddy.

In the end, this is a classic with all-time great talent performing at their best. Their massive egos clash perfectly. Seeing it now, I know it's a terrific heel vs. heel battle between superstars. The king gets to expose the pretender, teach him a life lesson, and make him pay for it. I like to think Mr. Joshua carried some of this lesson over to matches where he dominates.

So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex



11 comments:

  1. This remains one of my favorite matches, too, and BBW one of my all time favorite wrestlers. Not only his physical prowess but also his running commentary. I too would not call him innovative in his physical assaults - he is def skillful and relentless. I do think he's pretty creative in his verbal assaults, though. Whatever, he's a joy to watch, and that camel clutch is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re absolutely right that BBW’s personality and ability to trash talk contributes to his greatness. The guy remains one of a kind.

      Delete
  2. BBW is at the top of my favourite powerhouses. He's overwhelmingly unbeatable but always manages to get caught in prolonged hope spots, gracing us with his incredible selling. I've actually had to look into his earlier matches for any hope of him getting bested. There's a match against Matt Carlton in the Arena with an almost Pro wrestling style ending and the start of a feud. Unfortunately I can't find the follow up to it, I assume it's in the vault, I'd love if it spanned multiple matches (though I shouldn't hold my breath)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome. I only have one match where he loses, but matches like his one versus Rick Thormack, which I covered in a one hit wonder post made me believe. I’ll have to look for him against Matt. I haven’t seen that one.

      Delete
    2. Which is the mtch where he loses ?

      Delete
    3. Vs. Clint Morgan. It’s quite old.

      Delete
  3. I love this match and it’s an old favorite of mine. The last moments of Mr. Joshua’s awesome butt over BBW’s shoulder is a lasting image from BGEast for me.

    BBW is still my #1 heel. The looks, body, personality, smack talk, gear, punishments, sexual energy, everything!

    I hope he’s doing well and that Mr. Joshua is still filming matches. I really wish all of the wrestling sites did the UCW and Thunders Arena model where they let you know if someone has “retired.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing about BGEast is that the way they release matches from their vault, guys can keep appearing long after they 'retire'. Maybe when the vault has run dry, BGE could let us know so we don't hold out hope for one more from these superstars.

      Delete
  4. Incredible. Superb. Excellent. This video was that and so much more. BBW is a true heel. That what a heel is all about. And its a squash but one that is worth watching over and over. Its 32 minutes of pure destruction. Muscle vs Muscle but wow what a contrast in that department. And in the outfits and the way both guys are. Everything is the mirror opposite. The way BBW attacked Joshua Goodman was almost scientific. The holds looked painful. I think that is something that caught my attention the most. The way he wrapped Joshua up like a pretzel multiple times. It had me stopping the video and looking at it with detail. And of course part of his job was to expose to younger musclemans smooth muscular body. Over and Over. And in different ways. Excellent video and review. That's why its important to watch old stuff because many times is so much better than what is currently produced. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I’m glad to see so much passion for these classic match reviews.

      Delete