Friday, May 25, 2018

Review: Chase Addams vs. Kirk Donahue (BGEast)

Here I am, going out of order in my viewing. I still haven't watched the Pride Center matches from the BGEast event, while this supposedly happens after that. I actually OTA’ed the event, figuring some of it is going to a good cause. Although now that I type that, I realize that I'm not sure if that's actually true or not. Oh well, it's not like I was going to declare it as a charitable donation on my taxes. Point is that it seems to have removed my sense of urgency. VODs you need to deal with immediately. OTAs not so much.

Instead of watching the Pride Center event, I've gotten distracted by a couple of related matches from this latest catalogue. Although this compilation references the big event, Chase Addams vs. Kirk Donahue isn't a direct continuation of the Pride Center event. In fact, Chase isn't even on that card, but I guess he was in town and wanted a shot at Kirk. And frankly, who wouldn't? The jobber is simply fantastic at what he does.

Kirk Donahue heads from the pro show to a private
submission battle against Chase Addams.

Kirk Donahue is a stealth stud. I didn't really appreciate him until I saw him in action. Since then, my interest has only increased. The adorkable cutie might be hated over at Neverland, but he can always find comfort in The Cave. I appreciate his boy next door good looks, rocking body, perky ass and sizable bulge. Plus, he's a nice guy, but not a pushover. Well, not at first, at least.

Chase Addams is a perfect foil for Kirk, because he has pretty much the opposite personality. Yes, he's ‘charming as fuck’, but charming in a smooth, cocky, bad boy way. He's brash and bold. The heel is lean, but dangerous and he knows it. His gear game is on point with shiny purple trunks and accessories that naturally coordinate perfectly.

I love this position for these two.

Kirk's trying to keep his momentum going.

Will star Kirk end up as a stepping stone
for the charming one?

Things start out simply. Chase is arrogant. Kirk is defiant. They agree to a most submissions wins match. If I get to vote at this year’s BESTIES, this is the early front-runner for that Best Submissions award that I obviously did not understand last year, since none of videos I nominated even made the final list. It's early, but I think this match should be what BGEast meant when they made that award.

It's back-and-forth for the first two-thirds, but then turns into complete and humiliating squash that has the loser screaming and crying out in pain. I like the physical and personality dynamics here. It's fast-paced, especially at the end with rapid fire submissions and no breaks. When the winner gets on a roll, he is relentless and ruthless.

Kirk's got that hungry bum.

Yeah, you're on top, dude!

Hm. Nice hold, Kirk, but your eyes under a
heel's hand might not work out for you.

Action-wise, I really like how Chase handles the match. He has a good sense of storytelling with moves that seem to build off the previous ones. His leg punishment might not pay off now, but he comes back to it. Like an actual plan. Love it. Chase has been consistently creative and you see that here. I like his repertoire of holds and a few signature moves are here, along with really well-executed classics. I really felt like they were painful and deserved a submission.

Kirk’s not so strategic in his approach, but I forgive him because frankly he suffers so beautifully. He's not quite Jake Jenkins or Brad Rochelle, but he's damn good at it. Sweaty and screaming, Kirk makes a really great plaything for a heel on the prowl. And that's why he'll always be welcome here. I'm not sure I buy the submissions he gets, but it's not a problem if you're into Kirk as a babyface jobber.

Oh, Kirk, reach for it. Reach for it!

I love the willbreaker, but this angle is disappointing.
We need to be seeing Kirk screaming.

In the end, this succeeds, especially when
Kirk and Chase each do what they do best.

In the end, this is what BGEast does best. Two hot lean guys who look and act like they belong in a ring. They certainly wrestle like they belong in a ring. It's the combination of top notch action, acting and passion that creates a strong storyline with drama and tension.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment