Sunday, January 10, 2021

Review: Brendan Byers vs. Ethan Axel Andrews (BGEast)

I will admit, I'm going to miss a lot of great rookies for the next little while. With my break from watching wrestling videos, I'm mainly focused on matches featuring my favorites. And there have been quite a few of those across the gay wrestling world. Brendan Byers and Ethan Axel Andrews definitely qualify as favorites. I've watched a lot from both and couldn't wait to see them hit the mats at BGEast.

We get the best from both these studs.


We've got two superstars here. Brendan Byers is more than a favorite. He's become one of my must-buys, which is the highest category I can name. In this one, he's sexy as hell: smooth, strong and poured into tight grey briefs. Ethan mocks Brendan's luscious stomach but I love it more than any dehydrated starvation-induced six-pack. And he loves flexing those big biceps like the stud he is. 

Ethan Axel Andrews is obviously an all-time great. He's both loved (by me) and resented (not by me) for his skills and ability to wrestle with anyone. The mats are his domain and he's one of the best. You get the sense that he's always in control in this type of match, keeping things as competitive as he wants (or doesn't).

Ethan's always packed and ready to go.

Mmm, yummy!

There's a lot of UCW-style ball-grabbing
happening in this one.


Brendan Byers vs. Ethan Axel Andrews starts out with obligatory posturing. That's how we know that this isn't friendly. It's not a playful romp (which would've been fine with me). No, it's a rough and tumble mat match for domination and bragging rights. The guys act macho and tough with some trashtalk and bragging. Brendan's bigger and stronger, which gives him confidence and Ethan motivation. The smaller stud is more experienced on the mats but it's not like Brendan's a rookie. It feels evenly matched.

That's a lot of man to control,
but Ethan's sure that he can handle it.

Injury, meet insult.

Ethan goes up, Ethan goes down.


Action-wise, it is pretty evenly matched, too. This is a back-and-forth mat match with multiple submissions and pins. Ethan's an expert at using his legs, as all good mat wrestlers do and finding those pressure points to reverse bad spots. They're especially dangerous when wrapped around the big man's head and neck. Brendan brings in some big pro power moves to help wear down his smaller opponent. 

One guy does take control near the end and there is a definitive winner. The finish is super-hot and sexy. I didn't post it to avoid spoilers but the final move is one of my favorite holds - a Kiss of Death sleeper followed up by a ten-count with their faces an inch apart. I was hoping for a kiss on the unconscious loser but close enough.

Brendan gets in trouble,
but at least the view's a good one.

Ethan makes the case for skill.

But Brendan's rebuttal for the superiority
of power looks convincing, too.


In the end, this lives up to the potential of its stars. At BGEast, I generally prefer ring matches (as opposed to MBW where I tend to prefer mat matches - go figure) but the talent made me VOD and watch it immediately. I'm glad that I did. Both guys get a good showing and the action is strong. I likely would have been happy with any outcome but this ending was fantastic.

What are other bloggers saying?

RINGSIDE: CAKEWALK

So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex



No comments:

Post a Comment