Thursday, June 7, 2018

Review: #593 Austin Tyler vs. Chase Michaels (UCW)

With UCW transitioning action to a ring, I was curious and understandably nervous about what it meant. The first match I watched, Austin Tyler vs. Miles felt ... different (see my review here). However, the tag team match featuring Golden Boy and The Gorilla taking on Joker and Quinn Harper (reviewed here) worked out quite nicely, feeling both new and familiar at the same time.

Which way does Austin Tyler vs. Chase Michaels tilt the scale?

Ropes are the new brick wall when
Austin meets Chase in the UCW ring.

Most of my UCW viewing has been Austin Tyler for a while. He's just one of the best guys anywhere. I love his looks, his body, his wrestling and his personality. He comes across as cool and fun in a good way, which is important to me, even if you're not cool and fun. At least seem like you're enjoying yourself while still taking things seriously. Austin is a safe choice in a good way - reliably entertaining, endlessly adaptable and consistently positive.

I haven't seen Chase Michaels in a while, but he's a guy I'm happy to check out. I gave him one of my Favorite Rookie Caveys in 2016. He's changed a lot since then, but I still like him. The former UCW champ looks thin and tight, sporting his bad boy beard. While he's not in Austin's league in terms of muscles, he's got the whole nasty, ruthless UCW fighter thing down pat and he certainly doesn't lack confidence.

One of my current faves and a true must-buy guy.

I've liked Chase since he was a cute rookie jobber.

Austin loves to be put on display
 and I love him for it.

When I originally pulled images for this review, I had twelve Chase on top and five with Austin on top. I do think the match skews to Chase being more dominant, but not to that degree. It's just that Austin in trouble is such a turn-on. Chase makes the better dominant wrestler for me and Austin, the better victim. As I narrowed it down, leaving a lot of heat on my hard drive, I tried to balance it out as best I can. There's just a ton of great shit here that I'd love to use.




The action is hot, hot, hot. But what kind of action is it? It's a lot of mat work, a lot of leg work, a lot of hair pulling, and a lot of rope work. Not ropes as in bondage, but ring ropes. The guys bring the UCW-style viciousness to the endless of the ring frequently and fluidly. I can finally see the advantage of the ring as the studs use their environment to ruthlessly punish each other in a very UCW way.

Any time Austin is trapped, stretched or punished is awesome, because his body looks amazing laid out. He's flexible and smooth when he moves. And Chase seems to be at his best (i.e., most brutal) when he can tie up the hunky muscleman and abuse him.

This is a 30-minute match, but the action is non-stop and fast-moving. If you're the type who only likes savoring long-held holds, this might not be your match, but then UCW is probably not your thing. For anyone who likes UCW-style wrestling done right, you should love this.

Don't look at me like that, Austin.
I can't help you. I'm enjoying your pain too much.

Now there's a tree of woe move I haven't seen.

Yeah, Chase isn't missing any opportunities.

In the end, I loved this video. The guys are great, the action is terrific and it actually exceeded my very lofty expectations.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment