Monday, June 18, 2018

One-Hit Wonders Part 3: Fan Favorites

I'm back again with more one-hit wonders (1HWs) from BGEast. The first two posts were each the second most viewed for their respective months (1HW 1: April and 1HW 2: May), so I figure that you must like reading about these guys.

The difference this time is that none of these guys are 1HWs that I'd seen. These are three fan recommendations out of the ones that I've received so far. They're very different from one another, so I thought they'd make a nice set. My criteria for 1HWs goes beyond just their number of appearances. To qualify, they must be memorable, despite their limited tenure. With all three of these, I definitely get why readers remember them.

Mack O'Malley

6'2"/245-lbs.

Big Mack O'Malley is definitely memorable. He's a powerful brute who is muscular, strong and arrogant. Might makes right for this behemoth and he enjoys mocking his opponent's smaller size. Of these three guys, he's my favorite stud and would definitely have earned a second purchase from me on looks alone.

Like Hal Foster vs. Randy Wilkins from Hunkbash 3 (review here), this video features two 1HWs facing off. O'Malley faces Steve Watson, a much smaller, leaner hunk in pink trunks. Steve is well-built and eager to get going. The big beast has nothing but contempt for his smaller opponent, although it's not exceptionally nasty. Mack is just stating the truth. He's way too much man for the lightweight muscleman.

Or maybe he isn't. Watson does well, making this a back-and-forth battle. This makes the match memorable, as we get to see O'Malley use his power to dominate, but also suffer the humiliation of being dominated. Mack has a local accent and I imagine that he works on the docks in Boston or something like that. In the end, I liked this simple battle and really liked O'Malley.

Big bends little in this 1HW battle.

Uh oh, David has a surprise for Goliath.

Big Mack squats way more than Steve's weight.

Celebrate good times, come on!

Mighty Mack wins me over by the end.

Gary Myers

5'10"/190-lbs.

Gary is a stunning muscleman. He's handsome, ripped and perfectly sculpted, like some ancient statue. I could definitely see him dancing in some local bar to the latest tunes. And he gets to face legendary 13HW Jose, another perfectly built beauty. I've seen a few Jose matches and think he's just great.

This video is split into halves. The first half is a weightlifting video with Jose and Gary working out separately. This goes on forever and is only for body worship fans. The guys don't lock up for 16 minutes. The second half is a three-fall wrestling match in a ring. The falls are short and the action is limited, but I see why Gary qualifies as a 1HW. His body just looks awesome and he's got enough attitude to hang with the famous heel.

It was interesting watching this. Everything about this video is dated from the music to the hair to the fashion. Only the bodies are timeless, but it definitely feels like a blast from the past.

Half of this is a workout video.

The men put their gym-built muscles to the test.

The first fall is full of nelsons.

Jose's had enough.

Gary sells like a stud.

Conor McGlynn

5'10'/155-lbs.

Last up is Conor McGlynn. He's the smallest of the three, but fills a very important role. Young Conor is fresh-faced and boyish. Decked out in perfect jobber pink, Conor is going to appeal to anyone who likes seeing a bodybuilder completely manhandle a rookie. And he gets to face 29HW Braden Charron in his early days, coming on like a lean and mean bodybuilder.

Conor stretches and preps, but is pretty much cute and quiet throughout this match. Braden does the talking with his mouth and muscles. I like seeing the pint-sized powerhouse in the dominant role, especially in his USA trunks. It's not the role I think of when I think of Braden's BGEast time. Right from the start, Braden is arrogant and self-absorbed.

Even though Conor is taller and not small, he gets quickly squashed. Other than one brief rally, this is all Braden. After the initial overpowering and mockery, there are five primary attacks used relentlessly and ruthlessly - body slams, head scissors, body scissors, bearhugs and racks. I like this long, focused approach where you really get to watch Conor logically broken down slowly and thoroughly.

There's one more thing that stuck out to me and that's Conor's repeated covering of his face. I don't know if he got a migraine early on or was just embarrassed by his lack of competitiveness, but it really stood out to me. Every time he's down (and that's a lot), he covers his face. Just weird.

Conor gets whipped around like he's nothing.

Braden has no respect for the young rookie.

Ooh, this kitty has claws.

No, it's all Braden in this one.

Conor covers his face constantly.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! I've received many more, but I think three is enough for one post. BGEast is just full of 1HWs, much more than I ever realized.

Alex



4 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, thanks for checking out the Conor McGlynn match. Yes, I noticed he covered his face a lot but he's so cute I'll give him a pass.
    I like the look of Mack O'Malley. I'll definitely watch his match as some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for recommending it. Conor is that eager young wannabe who gets more than he bargained for. A classic. I don't think the face covering was bad, just odd. It really did remind of someone with a migraine - in pain and light sensitive.

      Delete
  2. Conor must have been injured... Braden was creative in this fight, I just don't understand why Conor didn't play more in BGEAST?
    Did Braden and Conor rehearse well and follow the scripts for this fight? I just don't know how Braden managed to lift Conor from the top and throw him to the ground vertically! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I can only think that something happened in this fight that prematurely ended Conor’s BGEast career.

      Delete