Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Three Years

It feels like I should do an anniversary post to feed my inner narcissist, but I'm not really sure what I should talk about. Making it to one year felt huge. It was the year I created something from nothing, so I focused on numbers. Two years showed sustainability, so I focused on process. Three years? I don't know what, if anything, it actually means.

Google says that traditionally, the third anniversary gift is leather. I like that. In modern times, it's crystal/glass. Meh, I'll stick with old school leather, thank you. However, I don't think that really helps me figure out what to write in a post to mark the occasion. So, in honor of three years, I'll just ramble a bit.

Aw, that's nice. Chris Cannon is offering up
his leather vest as an anniversary present.

I will admit that the blog was a bit more of a struggle at times this year. On the story front, I have a plan. I have a ton of stories started. I've got the narrative part down, but the action is coming slower. Thus, finishing them is happening much closer to publishing. Three of this year's stories so far have been finished within a week of posting. I'm hoping to get back on track as three of the next four were done and uploaded last year.

Mmm, more leather.

Deciding what to review has also gotten tougher. I haven't watched anything terrible in awhile, which sounds good, except for the fact that most matches fall into that middle ground of nice, but uninspiring. That's the worst thing for a reviewer. Excellent and terrible are much easier to post about.

Of course, loincloths are my favorite leather look.

I'm working to figure out other content I can create to break up the monotony. I liked a couple of my commentary posts, but I don't seem to have a ton to say at the moment. And the Holds posts require a surprising amount of effort. Valentine’s Day was a hit, but that doesn't seem like it's repeatable. If you have suggestions of things you'd like to see, the comment box is just below.

Leather doesn't have to be overdone ... Ethan's
one little wristlet sends a big message.

One of the more entertaining aspects of being around three years is how the emails I get have changed. This year, I realized that I've arrived when people started 'sharing' gossip about different groups to me. To what end, I'm not sure, but it seems like there are a few guys with negative ‘inside information’ that they feel like I should know. Don't ask for details, but it certainly seems like the behind-the-scenes drama I write about isn't so fictional.

Turns out not everyone gets along.
Just like my stories!

Results

These are a bit of a tradition. I know they're only interesting to a few, but for those folks, I'm posting them again. The blog was up 25% year-over-year from March-February. Slower growth than last year, but that's to be expected.



As usual, for individual posts, I'm doing Year Three as the 2017 calendar year to remove recency bias as much as possible. It takes about three months for the posts to reach a plateau where all posts grow at a similar rate barring an outside stimulus.

Story-wise, the results are all super-close this year. First year that this has happened, but no story broke out, while no story fell way behind, either. In fact, 13 of the stories are within just a couple of hundred views. Just since my year-end post, things have changed at the top, which doesn't surprise me given how close everything is.

Of note, Jae had a much better year compared to 2016. Two of his three stories really grabbed your attention. The top two stories were commissions, so thanks to readers for those ideas. New series generally ranked well. Camp Grapple had the biggest fall off from the first story to the second, while CLAW had the lowest average.

However, as I said, everything was really close, so it doesn't feel like anything was really a ton better than anything else.


Review results were a different story, no pun intended. There is a huge difference between post performance. For example, Scrappy vs. Blayne 1 earned a whopping 33% more views than the next closest competitor and was the biggest post of the year of any kind. And the top four reviews are very far ahead of #5.

While no wrestler is a guaranteed winner, you do see some repeat guys showing up. Blayne makes the top ten three times. Calvin Haynes/Steve Tanner ranks third and fourth. And Scrappy and Viking each make the list twice. Company-wise, five of the top ten reviews were about a Thunders match and four were about BGEast.

Other than that, I don't see a lot of patterns. There's the link factor from other sources, but mainly I think it's repeat viewing. Somehow, on these top ten, there's likely an image that some readers just want to see again (and again and again).


In terms of promotions, my opinions of the the new guys drew a lot of attention. Not surprising, I guess. Otherwise, things were similar to prior years with BGEast, Thunders and Wrestler4Hire getting a ton of views on average and the more focused players being more niche in their appeal to my readers.


So that's it. Thanks for hanging in with me for three years! Fingers crossed, year four will be productive for me and interesting for you!

Alex

9 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to the Cave! This is a fantastic blog. I check this blog everyday, especially on the 1st and 15th of every month just as I do the Arena every Thursday and RHW/88 every other Wednesday, except that, I never get disappointed with what you give us. Here's to another year! Thank you for letting us into your wonderful, imaginative world of wrestling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Alex on this 3rd Anniversary! Theee years of producing great stories after great stories with awesome reviews. I'll try to come up with new ideas for the blog. At this moment I'm out of them , something tells me that some are BOUND to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Yours is one of my daily stops for sure. And I often find myself rereading your fiction (and inserting myself into the action 😉). Thanks for your insight, perspective, imagination, and for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for all your comments and support.

      Delete
  4. Damn 3 years already?! It felt like it barley passed two haha! Thanks for everything you do Alex! Stories,Commissions,Reviews and extra always make it worth visiting this blog. I feel like I won the lotto finding your stories. They are always great and you pump stories out each month and on time which is rare to see for someone to stay consistent for a couple months let alone 3 years!

    For Blog ideas I was thinking it would be cool if you were to post story previews like a week before they get posted. Not so much just the first paragraphs of the story but more like a teaser or something to get people guessing at whats to come. That or maybe poll's or discussion posts? Like who would you think would win in a match with no outside interference or a match with no DQ, MoneyMaker vs Superstar? And then people would vote and discuss who would think would win and why. I think it would be cool to have people discuss the characters even if there is no match attached and it could help see what people would like to see if you post characters that arn't on the schedule for a while to see if they are interest in them and other things. Just some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, those are great suggestions. The previews could work around the end of the month with the casting post. And I've actually wanted to do polls, but haven't figured out how. I didn't really look very hard, but when it wasn't immediately intuitive, I kind of abandoned it. I'll look again. I personally really enjoyed Bard's gear polls, so I think voting is fun.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Glad I was able to give you some ideas that you like! I'll let you know if i think of anything else!

    ReplyDelete