Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Review: Braden Charron vs. Tatum Riggs (BGEast)

BGEast's latest catalogue has been out for a few weeks but this is my first review from it. There was only one must-buy on it, Chase Addams vs. Bruno LaBestia but of course it's one of the last matches to be released on VOD. I get it. It makes perfect sense to hold back the most popular guys to try to drive DVD and own-to-Arena (OTA) sales from guys with less patience than me.

While I wait, I decided to check out Braden Charron vs. Tatum Riggs from the "new" Big Boy Battles series. It's actually just a new name for the long dormant Big n Beefy series (last release was catalogue 84). Why a new name? I don't know but maybe the word beefy turned off some wrestlers and/or fans? I use the term all the time in a positive way but that's all I can think of. Since I liked Big n Beefy, I decided that beef by any other name might still be as tasty. Is it?

Introducing BGEast's new Big Boy Battle series.

There's no false advertising here. The boys are BIG. This is my first Tatum Riggs match and his second overall.  Listed at 6'3"/240-lbs, the guy is a monster in the BGEast ring. And he's a gorgeous slab of beef MAN, tanned, meaty and decked out in crisp white trunks and knee pads. Meanwhile, this is classic beefy fireplug Braden with his broad shoulders, barrel chest and mountainous ass.

One aside. Can wrestling producers please remove tags from trunks. What, are you planning to return them? Are you afraid you'll forget the washing instructions? Readers know that I'm easily distracted and I fixate on little things, but I can't be the only one who hates seeing tags sticking out during a match.

Stepping over the top rope is the
classic way to show us that you're big.

Braden's a beefy big boy from any angle.

Beefy Big and cocky! A perfect combination.

This 25-minute match starts like you'd expect. I love Riggs stepping over the top rope to enter the ring. There's some posing, some posturing and testosterone takes over. This is actually more back-and-forth than I expected. I'll admit that I assumed that this was a squash of Braden. It's not. Tatum dominates more but both guys win a fall and it goes down to the wire with both guys getting on top in the final three minutes.

WHACK!

STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

CRUSH!

The best part of seeing big boys battle is seeing them use big boy moves. I've definitely complained at seeing some big pros move into our world but leave their power behind (e.g., my review of Dirty Daddy vs. Brian Cage). That's not the case here. We see a ton of power moves that you see, hear and feel.

Both guys break out the squeeze holds, like bearhugs and scissors. I love seeing boots get used for stomps and crushing. Tatum shines with multiple clotheslines and a torture rack while Braden actually bodyslams the big man and powers Riggs up to escape a hold. There are submission maneuvers, too, like a crab, camel, sleeper and nerve holds. And it all ends with a one finger pin for the ultimate humiliation of the loser.

SPLAT!

BOOM!

CRACK!

In the end, this is what I want from a Big n Beefy Big Boy Battle. The studs are perfect and the action is powerful. If both guys were sore at the end of this, I could believe it. Tatum's got a great body for the ring, especially in white gear and he's got skills, too. Braden is a superstar for a reason so you know he delivers. A winner for me.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree: for me the best point of the new catalogue is, in the same video you review, Kelly King vs Toney Rico. Oh my God...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reco. I haven’t seen that one but sounds like I need to with that OMG reaction.

      I liked Toney against Ty and Chase but I’ve kind of been over Kelly King recently. I’ll give him another try.

      Delete
  2. Braden was so hot in this match! Did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Glad you liked it, too.

      Delete