Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Review: Scrappy vs. Tristan (Thunders Arena)

Tristan: "See these trunks? I took these from some young zipperhead with a smart mouth, a pretty face and not much else. Just like you."

Scrappy: "Was that in the 70's?"

This is officially my first Thunders Arena match of 2019. So far, I've been watching ones that I purchased last year and they sent me seven freebies last month, one of which I reviewed. Scrappy vs Tristan, however, was bought from the website in 2019. I haven't really been feeling them so far, plus Underground Wrestler was posting a lot of the same guys on their Patreon. All it took to bring me back was one look at this superstar pairing.

Scrappy: "Fuck. They're going to give me
fucking grandpa to wrestle."

Okay, now this is what I call a fantasy matchup. Scrappy and Tristan are two of my ALL-TIME favorite mega-stars. They're entertaining, talented and gorgeous. Tristan shows up in gold (which is apparently THE color to wear these days), looking tanned, muscular and full of attitude. Scrappy's rocking silver disco ball trunks with his pale fireplug physique.

In many ways, Scrappy is a new Aryx. They're both sexy bad boys who can win or lose, but always remains arrogant and supremely confident. Aryx was really the first heel-jobber character I remember in gay wrestling videos. While he's bulked up over the years, he hasn't lost any of his ferocity or skills. And Scrappy is an expert in the role of cocky muscle-jobber.

Tristan: "Little fucking jobbers like you come
along each and every year."

Scrappy: "I saw some of your videos actually. They
showed them to me. They were on VHS!"

Tristan: "You have been watching my tapes, because all
you're doing is stealing my fucking lines."

There's an immediate and logical conflict in this one. It's only natural that Scrappy would want to prove himself against the master. I mean, that's what young guys do. The quips are flying fast and furious to start this one. Right from the start, Scrappy is unleashing the age-focused insults, calling Tristan 'grandpa'. Tristan is no slouch in the trash-talking department, responding in kind, unimpressed by yet another young muscle dude trying to take over.

Scrappy: "I see you got some of that
old man strength in you."

Scrappy: "This young jobber's gonna show
grandpa just how it's done."

Tristan: "You wanna degrade an old man? I'm gonna
teach you some respect for your elders."

Action-wise, things feel limited, but it's really not by Thunders' standards. I think it's because the holds are long-held, and the sleepers and trash-talk are so memorable. There are other moves, including a bearhug, a full nelson, scissors, a single-leg crab and a Boston crab. Once they get going, it's actually pretty non-stop and it's all very hot because of the dynamics. There are submissions and knockouts with both guys going out during the match, but there is a final winner.

Tristan even brings back one of his classic Aryx-lock holds, which got me thinking. I can't think of a definitive 'Scrappy' hold or move. The appeal and importance of signature holds and moves is one of those things that separates guys who aren't as into wrestling from guys who are. If it was up to me, I'd get all these guys trained in some hot, sexy, named move that's they use regularly.

Tristan: "Now I'm going to find your cell phone. I'm going
to call a couple of your little friends. And we're going to
see who I'm going to do this to next."

Scrappy: You must be pretty old, trying to come in here
and wrestle on the new guy's mat."

Tristan: "I'm a hopeless romantic. The only thing missing
here is a candle while we spoon together."

In the end, I loved seeing these two together and they kept things lively and sexy. Tristan is as great to watch now as he was back in the day. Scrappy makes the perfect rival for him, because of their many similarities and one key difference. I hope Tristan's teaser is more than idle trash-talk. Cason and Loki would look great in an Aryx-lock.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

10 comments:

  1. I would like to buy this match, but the last Thunders match I bought came in a new video format, webm, that won't play on my computer. Do you know if this match is in webm or mp4? I tried using the contact link on Thunder's web site, but received no reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s .webm for sure. Hm, you can’t open it in your browser? It’s annoying but it works for me. I think VLC can open it as well, although videos played in VLC always look worse. For other reasons, I have a video converter, but it allows me to change these into mp4’s, which I immediately do.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate the fast reply. It doesn't play in Chrome, Firefox or Edge. Also not in Windows Media Player, VLC or Windows Movie and TV. I tried converting it to MP4 using Camtasia, but Camtasia doesn't recognize the file as a video file. What converter do you use?

      Delete
    3. I use Wondershare. I’m surprised none of those work, but I’m on a Mac. That’s pretty bad.

      Maybe I shouldn’t say this but what about uploading to YouTube as a Private (only you can see it) video?

      Delete
    4. YouTube was a great idea but I got the error "The video has failed to process. Please make sure you are uploading a supported file type." Apparently, they don't support webm either. I'll try Wondershare. It's a shame Thunders changed formats and excluded customers like me who use Windows 10.

      Delete
    5. Okay, it’s got to be your file, not the file type. Thunders owes you a new download, because there must’ve been an error. YouTube definitely accepts .webm uploads.

      Delete
  2. Well Alex, you nailed it when you wrote “… haven't really been feeling them so far” and I gotta agree. After so many years of the same old, same old thing at Thunders, I have not bought from them in a long, long time. My unds for this type of entertainment are limited and the thunders product has just become the same old “Bro-tastic” form of wrestling and its become stale for me.

    Oh sure the guys are hot, right?
    But despite a (very) few trained wrestlers on the team (ahem, I expect better from you “Joey King”), we rarely see an good back and forth, somewhat competitive match… its always a “squash” or “big vs little” or … ya know? Does the Tristan vs Scrappy fight have the intensity that it would if it were staged at Muscleboy or BG or … or even W4H…? I would have to guess not … I could only imagine the fireworks if this Tristan vs Scrappy were staged at Wrestlingmale.

    I like some of the Thunder performers, but their performances is whats lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your main question, I don’t think Thunders ever has the intensity to other places. It’s not what they sell. This has a grudge and tension, but it’s still fun and playful. “Bro-tastic” frat house shenanigans is their thing.

      I liked this video, but I’ll admit that I probably would love it from Muscleboy Wrestling. Scrappy has been killing it there and Tristan is great anywhere. It would’ve been a lot different with more wrestling and more intensity.

      Now, Tristan Baldwin told me on Twitter that he tore his rotator cuff early on, but they finished the match, but it could be why the sleepers were the most memorable part.

      Delete
  3. You and I are on EXACTLY the same page with this one, Alex! I literally gasped when I saw this match on Thunder's Arena's website because it was a pairing I thought I'd never get to see! This was one of those matches I was almost afraid to buy because I was worried it couldn't possibly live up to the hype I'd set for it in my mind, but when you're dealing with two consummate professionals like Tristan/Aryx and Scrappy, there's no way the match could fail!

    I completely agree with everyone's comments that Thunder's Arena's product has become a bit "stale" lately, and their newest models' looks aren't quite up to the Adonis-like levels set by their former stars, so who better than two of the all-time greatest underground wrestlers from yesterday and today to bring the company out of its doldrums?! There has never -- NEVER -- been a better trash-talker in the underground circuit than Tristan/Aryx, and if anyone can put Scrappy in his place mentally, verbally, and physically, it's him. That being said, Scrappy's star has gone supernova, and youth is definitely on his side, so the contest between these two could've gone either way, which is what made the match-up so intriguing. It was like something out of one of your stories! :) But I also agree with your comment that it probably would've been "better" and less "restrained" if it was filmed with another company.

    That's very unfortunate to hear about Tristan's shoulder, but I knew as soon as I saw him clutch it after he landed that he’d blown his rotator cuff. I've seen that injury happen enough times to recognize it when it occurs. Kudos to him for finishing the match, though. As I said before, he's a true professional.

    In his match against Kasee (which must’ve been filmed before the match with Scrappy), Tristan/Aryx brought up a ton of names from his BGEast past -- with one notable exception: Jace Bradley, aka Slash from Thunder's Arena. Aryx and Jace faced each other only once at BGEast in a match that Kid Leopard said the fans would enjoy it so much that it would "pay for a new Mercedes" for him. I would love to see those two former young bucks, now seasoned vets, go at it one more time. Sadly, it looks like the Tristan/Aryx vs. Slash/Jace rematch will be on indefinite hold due to the shoulder injury.

    -JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Agree with everything. Matches like this make me re-visit classic matches. Aryx has so many great ones.

      Delete