Monday, November 4, 2019

Review: Devin vs. Kasee "Close Contact" (Underground Wrestler)

A friend sent me an email raving about one of the newest wrestlers at Underground Wrestler. Here’s just an excerpt of what I received ...

“Devin will be a true superstar if he chooses to continue his underground wrestling career — and I really hope he does! Not only does he have a body cut from diamond, nipples that could slice through glass, and a perfectly proportioned package, he also has a cocky surfer-boy look and attitude with his thick up-do, light dusting of body hair, frequent use of the word “bro”, and killer smirk that literally melts me inside. He also seems to have limitless energy, as he recovers quickly from moves and is always ready to grapple or flex-off again even when coated in a light sheen of sweat. Best of all, he has a proclivity to refer to his aforementioned package often and frequently dangles it on his opponent’s face and head!”

With that kind of build up, what else could I do? I checked out Devin vs. Kasee.

Devin: "Come on, fucking flex, bro."


Devin is definitely a handsome and ripped stud, especially sweating and pumped as the match proceeds. And the hunky rookie doesn't seem like a complex dude. He's super-eager, fun-loving and happy-go-lucky. I found Devin's simplicity and smirking to be charming. He was born to smirk with one of those mouths that goes up perfectly on one side, so it's good he has an occasion to do it.

Video veteran Kasee is always a cutie. I like that he's settled into these skimpy red posers as his go-to gear because it always suits him. Like Devin, he's a simple dude in this one but more chill. Just looking to flex and compare bodies. Both studs do say “bro” a lot, with "man", "dude" and "pussy" thrown in to change things up every so often. But this is a total battle of the bro's.

Kasee: "Oh, you like to move. Goodness gracious, bro."

Kasee: "Did you take some Adderall? Goddamn, bro.
You're fucking going. Just let me breathe."

Devin: "Fuck, bro, you're starting to piss me off, too."

It's not often that the rookie is the more aggressive guy, but Devin is definitely more into testing their muscles. Kasee wants to have a slow pose off, but the ripped hairy stud wants to feel their bodies working. This immediately endears Devin to me, because I'm much more about wrestling than flexing. I would definitely argue that as awesome as their bodies are, they look way better stretched out and battered than standing and posing.

If I summed up their conflicting styles, Kasee is a classic Thunders garage video while Devin definitely has some UCW in him. Kasee keeps trying to dial down the intensity, asking Devin to chill and pose, but the rookie's too hungry for that. At one point the veteran warns the rock-solid stud that he could hurt someone because he's so strong, to which Devin shrugs that maybe that's the point.

Devin: "Fucking teabag the back of your fucking head."

Kasee: "Like, my muscles are popping right now."

Kasee: "Chill. I'm just trying to fucking flex, bro."

Action-wise, this is fun, sexy and a little sloppy as they get used to one another. There are some classic holds like nelsons, scissors, a crab, camel and body work. Eventually, Kasee has to adapt to Devin and there's some playful nastiness added in. Their gear rides up (sometimes with help) and the low blows switch things around. There are little things I appreciate like Kasee using his heel to rub Devin's pouch.

The sloppiness isn't that bad, it just doesn't always seem smooth. Like when Devin does a whip off the ropes, Kasee doesn't play along. The rookie's scissors are applied at his knees. His choke at the end seemed a little too choking. This is to be expected with newbies, so I got past it, but I thought it warranted mentioning.

I was a little worried when Devin no-sells ab punches. Luckily, he proves he knows how to sell as things progress. The rookie beautifully sells the full nelsons, scissors, stomps, splashes and low blows. I do hope somebody gets a chance to go harder on that six-pack. Hey, if it's too hard to sell the fake stuff, that's invitation to go real, in my opinion.

Kasee: "You got veins popping everywhere, bro."
Devin: "Yeah, bro."

Kasee: "I know they're solid, bro, okay,
but you don't need to hit them like that."

Devin: "Flex your way out of this one, bro."

In the end, I enjoyed this and it's a great rookie debut. Devin is physically awesome and I like his personality. He’s a rookie, so he’s got some work to do on the wrestling side but obviously has the raw materials to be a real stud in the ring. I hope he keeps at it, because I do agree that he has a ton of potential.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex




6 comments:

  1. Kasee is one of my favorites, but this video is terrible. These two don’t have the skills to put on a good fight, so it’s just clumsy. Pair them against skilled wrestlers and it’d be a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Sounds like you were more bothered by the sloppiness than I was. I’d love to see Devin with someone who could train and guide him.

      Delete
  2. Fun match! My take is that it should have been a match in the mats. The ring was wasted. They basically didnt use it. The rookie looked great, especially against Kasee. That ending Im skirmish about because it seemed like Kasee really had enough of the match. Perhaps that was the hot part. Which probably lots of people will like. It pushed the boundaries and I think it pushes Devin to face someone that is actually more hard core than Kasee. Perhaps thats the whole idea. Because Devin seems to want to fight and wrestle. So if thats the case, bring it to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your perspective. Devin could handle something hard core. He did try to use the ropes a couple of times.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the suggestion, Alex! You hit the nail on the head in your assessment of Devin. I thought he did a great job for what I assume was his first underground match. He has a natural presence in front of the camera that reminds me of Z-Man and Scrappy when they debuted. I really hope his underground wrestling career takes off like theirs did, and I REALLY hopes he adds the bearhug to his moves list like they eventually did! Using those corded forearms to crush an opponent against his ridiculously chiseled torso and piercing nipples would be like tightening steel cords around someone who's strapped chest-first to an iron beam! (I imagine it would be like getting bearhugged by Xaq!)

    - JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. It’d be nice to see him keep going if he embraces it and works at it. In one of Cameron’s guest blogger posts, he talked about how guys like Scrappy would train and practice on their own, calling him to say what they’ve learned.

      Delete