Thursday, July 20, 2017

Review: Scrappy vs. Viking 2 (Thunders Arena)

First things first, I am going to SPOIL Thunders Arena's re-match between Scrappy and Viking. There's simply no way not to, because the pictures will tell the story.

When this came out, I bought it immediately. I loved the first one and it made Viking a must-buy guy for me. Scrappy was already there. Plus, I did suggest a Custom Series reversal of fortunes, which this is, so I might be partially responsible for some generous fan actually making this.

It's tough to make a sequel to a beloved and spectacular debut. How did Thunders do?

Can Scrappy flip the script in
this science vs. history grudge match?

I know these two can deliver and they're both in top shape, looking as hot as ever. Scrappy dons gorgeous animal print briefs for this re-match. He looks amazing, of course, but he's also trying to use his brains, not just his muscles.

Viking returns in a drab gray singlet over red trunks, which make an appearance later in the video. Personality-wise, I actually like Viking even more after this. He seems even more cool and fun when he's challenged. He made a great bully, but this allows him to show more range and he seems to embrace to opportunity to play victim for once.

Scrappy's looking very Korak as he
carries the helpless Norse god around.

Viking: "We both know where this is headed.
It doesn't end good for you."

Yeah, Viking's making a strong case for history.

We start out with Scrappy citing physics for how he can get revenge for his previous humiliating loss. Viking would rather talk about history, as in how it repeats itself. Can I just say that if I ever had a teacher, history or science, who looked like one of these two, that would've become my major for life. Life! Fuck.

When the action starts, the history teacher wins the battle of the faculty, tossing Scrappy around all over again. Viking repeats his awesome spinning flip into a backbreaker that I loved so much the last time. He does a gorilla press. A suspended choke. Basically, it's 6-minutes of destruction that leads to an easy 1-2-3 for Viking.

Of course Scrappy has a plan. He upends the giant with dirty tactics that are more school bully than science teacher, but the lesson really starts when the big man goes down. And stays down for most of the remaining 13-minutes of the match. I wanted to see some revenge and here it is! Yay.

For the first 6 minutes, history > science.

Scrappy starts his portion of today's science lesson.

Theory becomes painful reality for Viking.

Once he takes control, Scrappy's main offense are sleepers. Oddly, I realize that I didn't include any images of them. Whoops. Well, trust me, they happen and they're sexy. It's small knocking out big, which is usually amazing and when it's these two, it's even better. Scrappy strips off the singlet, revealing the ripped Viking's body. All great.

I enjoyed the moments a lot. However, it probably would've been impossible for this video to live up to my expectations. Scrappy does manage to lift Viking onto his shoulders, but once he's down, Viking is down. However, Viking's size is also limiting and Scrappy has a modest list of options. So it's a little slower than I would've liked, but no real complaints about the action.

I will say that the camerawork isn't great. I think the camera is in a bad spot sometimes. For example, the first image ... Scrappy has Viking in a groin stretching hold, but the view is a close up of their faces. The move barely visible. Viking's suffering is hot, but I would've preferred a different view. Viking is big for the space or perhaps it's an editorial choice. Fine, but there's another issue.

Now, I admit that I'm farsighted, but I've noticed on some recent Thunders video a problem with the focus. The footage gets blurry, like at the eye gouge moment. I'd think it was my eyes, except that it's crystal clear at other points. I noticed it with a recent Vinny match, too. Not sure what that's about, but it'd be great to go back to a more crisp look.

Looks like Scrappy is enjoying being on top this time.

Yeah, Boy just beat Thor.

Just pull on his beard and you can make your
Viking puppet say anything you want.

In the end, this video has a ton going for it. Two incredibly hot, charismatic musclemen. The grudge angle. Fireplug domination and humiliation of an unbeaten giant. Sexy sleepers, gear stripping and trash talk. Not quite the classic I might've built up in my head, but certainly fun and worth it. Viking is good in the jobber role and Scrappy dazzles again as the heel.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment