Monday, March 19, 2018

Review: Flash LaCash vs. Zip Zarella (BGEast)

I'll admit that I was really excited when I saw Flash LaCash vs. Zip Zarella. It seemed like it could be a great old school vs. new school pro match up. And, it looked like another strong entry on an already exciting BGEast catalogue that features Ty Alexander's Spotlight and the Wrestling with Pride benefit event. I OTA'ed both of those, so I had time to take a detour to VOD this.

Did this match live up to my expectations? No. Why not? I'll explain in more detail, but if you're lactose-intolerant, you might want to avoid this, due to excessive cheesiness.

It's pro vs. pro when Flash battles Zip.

How could something with two amazing studs like this go wrong? I think Flash LaCash is the best pro heel in underground wrestling anywhere. I feel like he gets overshadowed by Guido, but Flash always delivers. BGEast has used him especially well. His powerful body, in-ring skill and old school charisma are perfect for rookie wrecking.

Zip Zarella is newer, but I have liked him in other videos. He's cute, lean and smooth, rocking his all-red look. His red shiny trunks looks stunning on him and his hair is perfect for pulling. Despite being aesthetically terrific, there is a problem for me.

Underrated Flash impresses again.

Zip's smooth, lean body makes
a great wrestling dummy.

Context is for the weak.

I wish I liked this match more. Flash is awesome and Zip was actually my choice for Debut of the Year at the 2017 BESTIES (and the eventual winner). It was probably a good thing this was released after the matches with Royce Perry and Joey King, because this match might've cost Zip some votes. I know he can be really good. It just didn't work for me here.

This is a match that is better to see than to hear. Unfortunately, Zip went to the "Luke Lonza School of Jobbery". He constantly talks in a cornball way. The worst is how the young stud seems to think this is an old timey radio broadcast. He often says what I can see, which diminishes the hold. I find it especially annoying because Flash is such an amazing heel.

Zip’s submissiveness just rings false. His offer to never wrestle again comes out of nowhere. Even the dialogue that might read okay sounds so cheesy the way it's delivered. Although I don't think, “Show me your true power, huh? You're hiding it.” could have ever sounded right. He calls Flash a sadist, a monster and sick at weird times. It's like the kind of thing a masochist would say, trying to encourage his dom to go harder.

The worst part is at the beginning where everything is unnecessary narration. Flash mocks him for it, but I seriously almost turned it off. If you can make it through the first third, Zip does settle down in the middle. He moans more and talks less. As we approach the end, Zip resumes the chatter, but by then, I was okay, able to focus on the wrestling.

I don't need to be told that he's breaking your back.
I can see that he's breaking your back.

I don't need to be told that he's bending you like a pretzel.
I can see that he's bending you like a pretzel.

I don't need to be told that he's strong.
I can see that he's strong.

The action is good. Flash is a master heel. He's strong enough to brutally and thoroughly manhandle Zip. He's talented enough to keep the action going. And he's creative enough to use a lot of really hot holds that show Zip off beautifully. Other than interrupting a 'climb of shame' with a forearm smash (I guess Flash doesn't have the patience for that), he was perfect.

As a wrestler, Zip does a good job taking the bumps and getting twisted and bent. He's a flexible guy who can make everything look painful and devastating. He plays weakness well. And he struggles right. Little things, like knowing when and how to open his legs on the mat show that he's got great instincts. So no complaints on Zip's wrestling performance at all.

Flash has the moves that make me happy.

Maybe this will shut Zip up.

If not, this definitely will.

In the end, this is a disappointing video. It's a pairing with infinite potential, but great action is ruined by an over-the-top rookie performance that took me right out of the moment. As I said, Flash is awesome. The guy is a rock star heel who knows exactly what he's doing. Love him. And I know that Zip can be awesome, too. I'll be wary of him jobbing or in matches in the old ring that might've been shot around this time. Hopefully the Florida stuff was shot later, so he gets better. If they were shot in the reverse order then uh-oh.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's the term I use for when an exhausted wrestler uses his opponent's body to try to get to his feet. I used it in a review for Cason vs. Blayne and everyone loved it, so I keep using it. There's an accelerated GIF of it there.

      https://alexmillerscave.blogspot.com/2018/02/review-cason-vs-blayne-thunders-arena.html

      There's another example in this review ...

      https://alexmillerscave.blogspot.com/2019/04/review-assassin-vs-goldenglutes-bgeast.html

      Delete