Sunday, March 25, 2018

Review: Ty Alexander vs. Jakeno Enzi (BGEast)

I'm moving forward in time in my Ty Alexander Wrestling Spotlight reviews. Ty vs. Jakeno Enzi is the first match on the BGEast compilation, but looking at Ty, I was pretty sure it's the second one filmed, so it's the second one I watched.

Unlike Ty vs. Austin, I went into this with literally no expectations. I didn't even recognize Ty’s opponent by name and OTA’ed this pre-catalogue release. I didn't even plan to review it, since the other two videos seemed more interesting. However, after watching it, I just really wanted to write about it. Why? I figured if I was overlooking it, you might, too.

It's a mismatch when young Ty faces tough guy Enzi.

As soon as the video started, Jakeno Enzi felt really familiar to me. I quickly realized he was Anarchy at Thunders Arena. I thought he was hot as heck there (coincidentally against Ty’s first opponent, Austin Cooper/Frey), but he didn't really last. Not that he lasted at BGEast, as this is only his second video and first since catalogue 104.

Enzi is sexy in a ‘badass from the loading docks’ kind of way. He looks like a tough guy, even in shiny red trunks. The gear is actually perfect. The blue collar bad boy is tight, in a natural way, and the trunks show that off. Not overly muscled, he still looks intimidating, with solid, ripped muscles, a shaved head and the confidence that comes from looking like he looks.

Enter Ty Alexander. We're still with young Ty, but he's got the cockiness of a veteran. While I'd be intimidated looking at Enzi, Ty is not. He's strutting in, with blue pro trunks and a personalized hat. The gear is sweet and the cocky attitude is sweeter as boy faces man.

Enzi's got MMA-style heat.

Let's all flip for the rough and ripped stud.

Lean, boyish Ty is the perfect contrast.

This is an interesting match up. Not because you don't know what's coming. It's no spoiler to say that this is a 100% squash. It is. It's interesting because it's pairing these two guys from completely different worlds. In comics, this is very popular now. Batman 66 meets the Archie gang. The Super Sons are meeting Blue Falcon and Dynomutt. Cute.

However, Archie also met Predator. This is more like that. It's not about size or skill. It's about tone. Enzi immediately seems serious, cartwheels notwithstanding. He looks and acts MMA, while Ty is old school Saturday morning wrestling. It made me intrigued to see how these two guys would fit together and if they could make an entertaining match.

Enzi's here to fight, not have fun.

Ty doesn't need Enzi's help.

Enzi mauls the young twink.

The action is crisp and brutal. Enzi gets to show some nice wrestling skills, while Ty proves why he's so good at taking it. Against relentless abuse, the cute jobber keeps his attitude, refusing to submit for as long as he can. The roughneck doesn't mind, as it allows him to abuse Ty longer. I wondered how these two would fit, but it turns out they fit perfectly.

Squashes can sometimes get monotonous, especially when they go past 15-20 minutes. However, I was into this one from beginning to end. My interest in Enzi only increased with every hold. The tough guy gets hotter as the match progresses. I especially like how he adds extra punishment to the torture rack and fireman’s carry. There's also a big bearhug, sexy sleeper, vice-like scissors, dominating figure-four and more.

Yeah, it's a massacre.

Enzi adds extra abuse to his holds.

Man just crushes boy.

In the end, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I expected Ty to deliver, but Enzi turns out to be a smoking hot tough guy. I liked the combination of these two incredibly different wrestlers. The outcome is obvious, but the journey is still awesome.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment