Friday, March 30, 2018

Story Preview: April 2018 (Warning: Spoilers)

Today, I try the first MONTHLY preview of stories. If you want to know what April holds, here's where to look. If you DON'T then don't click. Spoilers abound, but you have the power. Consider yourself warned.



Okay, now that you've decided to see what's coming, I'll tell you. I'm still figuring this out, seeing if it works and if so, how it works best. With this first monthly preview, I'm taking two different angles on what a preview can be.

For the first story, I'm taking the simplest and most obvious approach. I show pics of the wrestlers and the opening part of the story.

For the second story, I'm trying a more movie trailer approach with a cast GIF and a few random quotes. Like a movie trailer, the quotes are selected to be enticing, but arranged without context and not necessarily in order. I think the different formats fit the stories, but you can also weigh in on which type of preview you like more.

April 1 - The Cave 21: Cody vs. Buck

Cody + Buck get it on.

Buck is no April’s Fool as he wrestles Cody in singles competition. We've seen them wrestle tag, but we only heard about their first meeting where Cody won a singles match. This story starts with a fun re-match, but that's not where it ends. Will the guys leave happy? Maybe, but you might not. This is one of those nasty “To be continued …” stories.

The Cave Ring 
"Thanks for the match, Cody. I'm relieved that you accepted.”

“Well, I'm relieved that you asked, Buck. Jae's sad he couldn't join us, but he had a client.”

“It's cool. I'll meet up with your boyfriend eventually. I got a lot of time, being on vacation for four months.” The muscular farmer pauses, “You know, I wasn't sure you would accept my offer after how things went down last week.”

I tell the handsome 35-year country boy, “I don't blame you for anything. I like you, Buck. And I know your loyalty is to Brody. I respect that. I hope you can understand why I'm mad at him.”

“I do. I do. He feels real bad. If you'd just talk to him, let him apologize, I think you'd see it was all just a big mistake. He never meant to hurt you guys.”

I sigh, “Let’s make a deal, Buck. I won't badmouth your buddy. You don't try to change my mind. Is it a deal?”

“I won't mention Rival at all.”

I raise an eyebrow, “That's not the same as what I said.” Buck gets a sheepish look. Yeah, he's trying to play word games. I nod, “I thought so.” I walk up and put my hand on his shoulder. Thick. Strong. Sexy. Yum. I explain, “You seem like an honest guy. I'm trying to be one, but I know manipulation. Don't try to play me, Buck. If you can't drop it then maybe you should go.”

The farmer replies, “I'm sorry, Cody. I'm not good at lying.”

“That's refreshing.”

“I am good at the truth, though. Sorry, I can't agree not to try to change your mind.”

I frown, “Excuse me?”

April 15 - Rival Pro Wrestling 3: Slamsky vs. Steele


Two days later in Cave time, things pick up over in Rival Pro Wrestling where Cowboy Chris Steele tries to win the US Championship away from the nefarious Siberian heel Spartak Slamsky. Steele believes it's his patriotic duty and the crowd agrees, but maybe not everyone wants to see him win. There's a humiliating loss, a challenge and a shocking surprise for Brody. Another “To be continued …” story.

I own this place. People need to remember that. I own every fucking thing in this building. Including the wrestlers.

"Move your hand or you'll be using that scarf as a sling."


“By the time this monster is done with Chris Steele, that flag-waving moron will be down on his knees, kissing the champ’s boots!"

"Going somewhere, guys? How about you let it play out?"


"It's good that my enemies are keeping you busy."

"Jealous?"

"He signed your contract. I didn't."


All I can do is ask, "WHY? WHY? WHY?"

That's what April looks like. Two different approaches for two very different stories, connected by a three-story thread that culminates in May.

If you like the idea of previews, please let me know. And if you do like them, do you have a preference on the style of preview? Be sure to let me know!

Alex

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of coming attractions. You don't give enough away to really spoil anything. On the contrary, here you've given just enough to really titillate. Of the two formats I'll vote for the first. Cleaner. The second was a little distracting on my mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm not sure which format I like better... I do like the story preview more from the cave but damn I also like that gif you made. One thing is clear with those teases I am excited to see what happens in the stories. And that nasty cliffhanger... im ready for it and ready to be mad haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Axel. I'm thinking the first format is best in most circumstances. As long as the story opens in a compelling way. And the GIF might work better when there are a ton of characters, but I don't think you need a GIF of two guys, like with Cody + Buck.

      Delete
  3. I like the GIF. It worked fine on my mobile. Also since it's two stories st least that you will be showcasing it makes sense that both previous are different. I must imagine that you also have other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. I'll see how it goes, but I'll probably let the stories dictate the format.

      Delete