Saturday, August 18, 2018

Review: Aspen vs. Nick Flex (Muscleboy Wrestling)

Full disclosure: This video was provided to me by Muscleboy Wrestling.

I was traveling when Muscleboy Wrestling released their ninth catalogue last week. I didn't have time to buy anything, but luckily they hooked me up with a few of the new videos. I was going to start with Derek Bolt vs. Quin Quire, but Aspen vs. Nick Flex actually intrigued me a little more. Unlike the other video, I wasn't sure how this would play out. So with more suspense and my desire not to be spoiled, I chose familiar faves over the smoking hot rookies.

It's like watching two muscular Energizer bunnies -
once they dive in, they don't stop until one is done.

Both Nick Flex and Aspen are good looking dudes. They're both confident, but in different ways. Nick is cool, Aspen is cocky. They're both winners, but Nick has beaten a lot more and a lot better opponents. They fill out their tight and tiny trunks beautifully, but Nick is bigger and more muscular than Aspen who is more of a beefy fireplug. And there are some personality contrasts, which drive the narrative.

These two hunks might have different priorities.

Aspen's not scared of MBW's resident alpha male.

Not many guys at MBW can rack Aspen.

There's a new school vs. old school vibe set up at the beginning. Aspen is on his phone and you know he's cocky because he's wearing sunglasses inside (maybe someone should show him how to turn the brightness down). Nick shows up and wants to wrestle, not wait. Things get tense as these different attitudes collide. The action starts a couple of minutes in and then goes non-stop. And I mean that. It's only one-fall and I don't think the guys pause to flex or talk at all. The only breaks in the fighting I remember are when both guys are spent, sweaty and exhausted, trying to catch their breath.

It's this intensity from their unique personas that makes things interesting. It's not super-intense as the guys can't help but laugh a little on the first lock up, but they definitely get mad as things heat up. These are two alpha hunks who want to prove a point. Nick’s the resident badass who owns the mat. Aspen is the arrogant newbie who smirks his way through life.

With their different perspectives established and pride on the line, one guy will definitely be left humiliated, especially when the winner comes back to deliver some extra abuse to the frustrated loser.

This match is ferocious.

Nick tries to teach Aspen some humility.

Aspen takes it to Nick with punishing body work.

There's not a lot of variety to the wrestling action. Nick uses a broader array of holds, but I'd still say that things stay focused on the physical side with this being less about wrestling and more about beating down the other guy. It feels like Nick dominates more, but it's definitely back-and-forth. Likely to due to a combination of Nick’s size and Aspen’s skill set, the shorter hunk mainly uses punching, forearms and boots. He mixes in a couple of suplexes, a spladle and a pedigree, but the action is decidedly on the brawling side. Because of this style in close quarters, there are some phantom punches and obviously weak shots, but most of it is well done and there was nothing I couldn't get past.

It works for me as this takes on a street-fight feeling where the winner will be the one who wears down his opponent the most. It's one of the most macho displays I've seen in a while. They don't say it, but it feels like they just don't have no time for no fancy technical dippity do’s. All of which suits the original narrative where it's about a turf war.

It's non-stop brutality until one guy is done.

Aspen doesn't show that many moves, but
when he does, he makes them count.

Nick demands respect, but will Aspen give it?

In the end, I liked this a lot. It's the wrestlers that make this match really go. It's the fastest-paced and most constantly moving match I can remember. The type of action is limited and repetitive, but it does fit the story that it's trying to tell: two alpha males with different attitudes literally whaling away on each other until one of them proves he's the MAN.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that's actually the same order I bought those two videos. I also remember for this match, wishing there were a few more holds where they'd struggle a bit, although the last third definitely made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I agree on your holds comment. That’s why I tried to be clear that it’s mostly brawling so guys would know. I still liked it, but buyers just need to know what they’re buying.

      Delete