Thursday, March 19, 2020

Review: Johnny Lightning vs. Cliff Conlin (BG)

Like most of you, life is completed crazy right now. I'm lucky to have a job (not blogging) that I can do remotely. I thought working from home would give me more time but the chaos has meant I've had more work, more meetings and less time. I did manage to watch one wrestling video. Since my BG Enterprise review last week on Johnny Lightning had four comments before I could blink, I went with this one.

It's another blast from the past.


Cliff Conlin is another guy that I've never see before. When I was scrolling through Johnny's matches, Cliff's name jumped out because I remember that Joe at Ringside loves him. I can see why. He's timelessly sexy ... handsome, tough and yet adorable. I love his body, which is muscular but not as "bodybuilder" as many of his contemporaries.

Johnny's a great contrast for Cliff. He's a stunning blond surfer boy and packed with powerful muscle. I love his body in bright pink which pops against his tanned skin. His last match was pretty much a squash but this one is way more competitive and allows Johnny to shine a little more, both as the dominant stud and as the recipient of big punishment.

Reversals are the norm as neither guy
wants to lie down for the other.

Both guys have hair meant for pulling.

Gravity is the pro wrestler's best friend.

As hot as Johnny and Cliff are, what matters is the wrestling. Both guys are cocky and confident. They're both skilled. I really liked this match because it's quite back-and-forth before one guy completely dominates at the end. The last 5-6 minutes are smoking hot as he takes control and the loser is overwhelmed. This was my favorite part of the video because of how the match built to it.

Ah yes, the old atomic drop as headlock counter.
Love it.

Cliff's big boot takes Johnny down.

A sexy suplex.

Action-wise, I'm impressed by the intensity and quality of wrestling. These guys go hard at each other. There are a lot of counters throughout, showing their skill. I like that they're not just trading holds like we see today. They deliver some excellent classic moves but also amplify them to make them hotter. For example, Johnny using a full nelson to slam Cliff's face into the top turnbuckle.

Johnny can sell like a top jobber.

Cute Cliff gets up close with the turnbuckle.

BOOM! Cliff's a powerhouse, too.

In the end, another big win for BG. Johnny's energy, skill and sex appeal are captivating. And I'm a new Cliff fan. You don't see this combination of muscle guys and intense action as often these days. Both musclemen and the action are timelessly hot, so they worked just as hard for me as a really good video made yesterday. If you haven't seen them, they're new to you.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

12 comments:

  1. Have LOVED Cliff Conlin for years now - and Johnny Lightning is at his hottest when he's suffering!! One of the best match-ups here -two hot bodies in excellent gear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I’m brand new to both guys but I already think that they’re amazing. I’m looking forward to watching more of them both.

      Delete
  2. Johnny Lightning in pink is now currently my Favorite Thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling ... my “new favorite thing in the world” changes quite frequently. Based on your comment from my last Johnny post, this match is right up your alley.

      Delete
  3. WOW, and WOW. Cliff Conlin was sure to get me to buy these tapes (yes tapes) when they first came out. (Amazing how you can forget these things as you age)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why. He’s quite the stud.

      Delete
    2. The only problem is that Cliff always wore gear that was too "sturdy" :-(

      Delete
    3. Aw. Well, I’ll be okay with that. I like guys in wrestling trunks and they’re built to be big and sturdy.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Cliff Conlin was my #1 when these first appeared. Perfectly toned body, drop dead beautiful face, cocky verbal attitude and he could wrestle! I bought all his matches. Unfortunately all my VHS tapes have long gone. Thanks for bringing him back, will have to investigate if he's available on modern media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s awesome. Not sure why I never looked at any of these guys other than my focus on BGEast.

      As for modern media, don’t get your hopes up. As far as I know, Can-Am is DVD or pay-per-minute streaming, which is why I haven’t done much with them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah, that’s easy. The first mention of Johnny Lightning is a link to his profile. Click that then match is on Canadian Musclehunk Wrestling 1. Enjoy!

      Delete