Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Review: Poppa Bear vs. Sam Smiler (Spotland Scrappers)

This video from Spotland Scrappers is entitled Dad 'n Lad. It's a custom scenario and is heavily story-driven. A young wrestler broke up with his girlfriend and (apparently) not in a nice way. Her dad shows up at the gym demanding he apologize to her. The young punk naturally refuses, so it's up to the older gent to defend his little girl's honour ('u' intentionally added since this is a UK match).

I'd call this a specialty taste so I'm giving you enough to decide if it's something you'd like.

Smiler's not smiling now.


The age difference drives everything here. Sam Smiler looks like he's in his early 20's? Poppa Bear is ... significantly older. Maybe he had his daughter later in life or she's a cougar. Either way, this sizable range is likely deliberate as it accentuates the mismatch as the youngster is a strong, cocky pro wrestler. If they'd had a fit 40-something dad, it likely wouldn't work as well.

Treat his daughter like trash?
You're the one who's trash, sport.

How can this be happening to you, dude?

Seriously, bro? How weak are you?

You probably know if this interests you by the pics. I like the scenario and for $8, I knew I'd get my money's worth. The setup takes a couple of minutes then the guys are stripped to trunks and 'wrestle' for about 17 minutes. It's a total squash with older humbling younger. Smiler does try to fight a couple of times but his attacks are ignored. Turns out, he's as bad a fighter as he is a boyfriend. Zing!

Oh my god, look at him flail!

No one's daughter will want him now
after this pathetic showing.  

There's no escape, kid.

Action-wise, it's pretty good. The holds that display Smiler's tight hard body are the best part. He makes a hot victim as he's manhandled by the older dude out for revenge. That storyline stayed top-of-mind for me, so it amplifies everything that we see. I even added in some extra dialogue in my head as I often do to really drive home the humiliation going on here.

Smiler's fading arrogance and increasing helplessness are very hot. Like I said, he looks good stretched out and trapped. On the other side, things that require speed are a little less convincing, like the lockups. The punches and forearms are noticeably weak. Those elements are very ... careful. Ultimately, it's about the story, man, and you know how much you're into the idea.

All show, no go.

Uh, you didn't kill him, did you, daddy-o?

Time to make this dirtbag say he's sorry.

In the end, I enjoyed watching this one. It's a great story and Smiler makes a great victim. He's really cute and cocky with a sexy smooth body. And I can totally see him being a hump 'em and dump 'em guy who probably does deserve to get his ass kicked.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

2 comments:

  1. This is a scenario that I like greatly. Will have to check this out. I may have to borrow this theme and "manlerize" it. Haven't seen much from Spotland Scrappers but should check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun. I’ve used wrestling videos for inspiration before.

      Delete