Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Review: Johnny Lightning vs. Paul Perris (BG/Can-Am)

Well, my image problem was sort of resolved. If you don't know what I mean, on Saturday, many of my images disappeared and access to my albums was restricted. It hit more than just me, based on the cries for help over at the Blogger community help center. Still, being in the unlucky group is not a feeling I want during a pandemic. Yes, I know one thing has nothing to do with the other, but it's the symbolism. They were "aware and working on it" but once I could access my images again, I manually re-posted them in every post affected in 2020. I didn't go back before that because it seemed to impact recent posts only and it was both time-consuming and depressing.

Anyway, I'm back and with another old school Johnny Lightning match.

Two classic superstars meet in the ring.

When I was choosing Johnny Lightning matches to check out, a lot of his opponents were unknown to me. I chose Paul Perris because I think Bard was a big fan. At least, I remember him including him in his "Battle to Be the Best" contest. It seemed random to me and he got crushed by the amazing Mike Columbo in fan voting, but the name stuck with me and I assumed he must be good.

Physically, these two are twins. They both fit that classic clean-cut muscleboy look that was big back in the days before frat boys discovered the gym and made tattoos the prevailing trend with their barbed wire bicep ink (note: this might not be exactly how the tattoo trend started, but it's how I remember it happening 30 years ago). Paul is in yellow trunks, Johnny is in a superior purple thong.

Johnny must be the older twin.

Perris loves to do the splits.

I'll admit it ... Paul is gorgeous.

Beyond their gear choice, Johnny being superior in every way is what I remember most from this video. It's not a squash. It's best two-out-of-three, going all three falls. Both guys get their moments, but Lightning uses his muscles more often and dominates the video. I might be biased because he's such a stud and I loved his match with Ringside's boy Cliff Conlin (reviewed here).

Johnny Lightning vs. Paul Perris is billed as a BG/Can-Am co-production. I love the idea of cross-promotional matches, so I'm putting Johnny as Mr. BG and Perris as Mr. Can-Am. Right from the start, we see the difference. Paul is all flash, doing the splits in the corner and smoothly rolling to the middle of the ring. Johnny is all action, waiting patiently then casually dropkicking Perris down like a chump. Booyah!

Yeah, whatever, Paul.

Nice old school takedown.

Mr. Can-Am shows he's got some moves, too.

Action-wise, the wrestling is tight. Johnny is a relentless powerhouse with some solid moves in his arsenal. He treats us to multiple bodyslams and other big moves that breakdown prettyboy Paul. The Can-Am stud is more mat-based, using holds like scissors to get Johnny writhing in pain. Both guys are good at selling the action and it keeps moving. Johnny Lightning has really impressed me and I'm going to check out more from him very soon.

Roll over, jobber, Johnny's got more abuse for you.

The pride of BG isn't holding back.

BOOM! Can-Am has the pretty. BG has the power.

In the end, these classic matches are really great. It feels like sometimes today that we need to compromise on whether you get big muscle or big action, like we can only have one. Don't get me wrong. I love my pros, lightweights and regular joes and they can bring it! These matches are great for those times when maybe you want bodybuilders who can actually take a bump.

So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

11 comments:

  1. One of my all-time favorite matches is Paul Perris vs. Roman Stone in Kick Ass Bodybuilder Feud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

      Delete
  2. Tied up in the ringropes - Does it get any better than that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's these two, maybe not. I know that I definitely had to pull a GIF from that sequence.

      Delete
  3. This is the first gay-oriented wrestling match I watched in my life. I remember it made my dick rock hard and I came many times. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome! Wow, that’s awesome this was your first match.

      Delete
  4. This match is also one of my all-time favorites!
    Paul is on my All-Star team, for sure, and Johnny is another all-timer!
    As canes78 said, the Paul Perris vs "cousin" Roman Stone matches are very hot. Pity that Roman disappeared after his two or three Paul matches.
    I wish we could time-warp and have matches between Johnny Lightning and his long-lost son, Scrappy (hehe); and between Paul Perris and equally gymnastically gifted Kasee...
    ...mmmmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrappy as Johnny Lightning’s son is an amazing idea. I can imagine that.

      I looked Roman up and you’re right ... three Paul Perris matches and that’s it. I’m interested to start with the match canes recommended.

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with your last point. These old matches have muscles+action. I think today we seem yo care more about the fetish aspect of wrestling as opposed to the actual art of wrestling hence why we have a lot of the matches we have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's us or the talent or the producers? Watching these older matches, I literally just realized the difference, the shift had been something I just accepted.

      Are bodybuilders today softer, more into showing off their muscles than using them? You certainly see videos where muscleman flinch at the slightest contact. Or maybe they have more revenue sources nowadays, so they don't need to learn to wrestle and risk any pain because people will pay to watch them pose, flex and jerk off? Or maybe they have shorter attention spans and can't learn?

      And there are definitely more than a few producers who put the highest value on something other than big action.

      It's not something I'm qualified to assess (or interested in enough to investigate) but there is a definite shift and I think I'll be spending a little more time in the past moving forward.

      Delete
    2. I think it has more to do with bodybuilding becoming more popular and finally being kinda normal (like gaming) so like you said, they have more outlets to make money, also with the boom of the internet, things are a lot less underground so people want to be more careful.

      Delete