Friday, June 19, 2020

Review: Joey McCoy vs. Nick Flex (MBW)

Full disclosure: This video was sent to me by Muscleboy Wrestling.

In case you didn't see, I posted my 200th story this week. I feel pretty proud of myself, I must say. It's something I've been working towards for a while and was a bit of a distraction on top of a heavier than ever work schedule. Now, I can hopefully get back to chilling and watching some wrestling. I have watched a couple of review-worthy things, including Joey McCoy vs. Nick Flex from MBW.

Silly, Joey, you can't move Nick's arm!

Things start out simply enough with Joey cleaning the ring. Nick's looking for his opponent. As the big guy leaves, Joey mutters that he'd kick Nick's ass. Nick overhears and wrestling ensues when the smaller stud won't retract his statement. The big man won't be disrespected and Joey's got too much ego to run away. A simple and believable way to begin a catchweight battle.

If you're watching Joey McCoy vs. Nick Flex for a 30-minute squash, STOP READING!

Still reading? Okay. Don't say I didn't warn you. It's a shockingly - I said, shockingly! - engaging competitive match that has more reversals, counters and twists than an episode of ... oh, what are the kids watching these days ... Game of Thrones. Yes, that's it. For the record, I've never watched one minute of Games of Thrones but I imagine it to be quite twisty and surprising.

The cocky lightweight loves
taunting the muscleman.

Joey is nowhere near Nick's one rep max.

No choke slam from you, Nick.

Depending on your personal taste, you can now decide if that's what you want. I really enjoyed it. A lot. Nick Flex and Joey McCoy are among my favorite wrestlers at MBW. I think they're both hot in their own ways. Nick is the gruff, macho bodybuilder. Joey is the adorable, feisty underdog. They're completely different but they actually make a great match up. It's back-and-forth the whole way.

The thing that really makes this work for me is that in many ways, Joey is the perfect opponent for Nick. The smaller stud has boundless energy and superhuman resilience. Nick is a fists-first brawler with some great pro moves, who gets sweaty and tired around the ten minute mark of his best matches. You can see and feel his frustration as he goes from toying with the young punk to getting bogged down in a lengthy quagmire, like this was some kind of land war in Asia.

Nick Flex, Wrestling Chiropractor.

Love the boot to the back of the knee.

Joey's so bendy. 

Action-wise, this is a lot of body work with some power moves (e.g., slams, backbreakers) and submission moves (e.g., crabs, racks) thrown in. The guys take abuse from each other but just keep on ticking. There are no super-long sustained runs for either guy. They punch, pummel and pound each other relentlessly but neither guy is a quitter. The wrestling moves break things up but are no more successful (until the very end where one guy finally gets a three-count).

Nick is more dominant but Joey never stops fighting, countering, lifting his shoulder and pulling out all the stops. In the last couple of minutes, either guy could still win and I really wondered on the outcome. If I was writing this, I probably would've gone back-and-forth between obvious logical outcome and the surprise twist ending. I won't say which it is but I would've enjoyed either outcome.

Yes, Nick, the little man did just lift his shoulder.

Nick's left wondering what he needs to do to win.

Joey knows what he needs to do to win.
Question is, can he?

In the end, this is a great match. It's fun, fiery and full of great moments. I love the intensity and tension between them. Wrestling-wise, bouncy Joey is the perfect kind of opponent to frustrate the hell out of big Nick.

What are other bloggers saying?



So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex


2 comments:

  1. I still think Nick Flex is the best candidate to take on a Twink Gauntlet, as pioneered by Effy. It'd be awesome watching him progress into tougher and tougher matches as he starts to tire out.

    ReplyDelete