Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Review: Chase Addams vs. Kayden Keller (BGEast)

It’s one thing to be a heel. It’s quite another to be the “top heel”. By its very nature, a heel vs. heel battle ranks the nasty boys on toughness, smarts and skills. I said the same thing in my last two reviews of Kayden Keller, battles against Brendan Byers and Rolf Fulton, using them to rank three of BGEast's bad asses. Now, Kayden is back facing Chase Addams, both guys putting their “top heel” aspirations on the line. Wow, Kayden sure isn’t ducking anyone, is he?

It's go time for the top heels.

To say that I'm a fan of Chase and Kayden is an understatement. They've both earned plenty of my praise and my money. I can't think of a disappointing match from either guy. Kayden was runner-up to Chase for Favorite Heel in the 2018 and 2019 Caveys. However, it's Kayden that's taken home the BESTIE three years running. So, as young heels at the top of their game, there's a natural rivalry.

While these guys are both bad boys, they're quite different in their approach. Chase is the most creative wrestler working today, usually tying his opponents into all kinds of shapes as he tortures them into submission. Kayden is skilled at submission holds, too, but he also uses his size to back up his brutality. Chase is brash and in-your-face with his superiority; Kayden has a quieter confidence.

Kayden unleashes his big man power.

Chase gets creative with the ropes,
having his way with the "top heel".

Chase gets a taste of greatness.

Chase Addams vs. Kayden Keller must be early in Chase's tenure. Kayden is portrayed as the established heel. The big bad boy of BGEast. Chase refers to him the top heel several times. The new heel is looking to establish himself as the new number one. Hey, as the Nature Boy often said, you have to beat the best to be the best, right? (I don't know if Ric Flair is the original source for that quote, but he's the one that I first heard say it and I don't feel like googling it).

I really appreciate the chemistry between the guys. They both want to prove themselves and dominate, but there's also a really nice respect thing going on. After the winner gets the deciding submission, the obvious tension from the wrestling has them face-to-face, millimeters from making out. They talk about hitting the showers together but naturally this does not end on a romantic note. There are some post-match shenanigans, as you might expect.

Kayden isn't too big to go up and over.

The rope comes in handy for this choke.

Ouch. Chase is going to make sure
Kayden remembers this match.

Action-wise, this is a rope match. The guys are tied together at the wrists. Going in, I was nervous, figuring that I would prefer a more standard ring match. However, I should've trusted them. Both guys make the most of the unique situation, using the rope effectively as an added element to amp up the pain and domination. It especially brings out Chase's creativity and Kayden's ruthlessness.

The wrestling is mostly submission holds with a total of six falls (by my count). There are some power moves, but the guys like the sound of the other guy whimpering. So do I. I never quite understand guys who want Kayden as a jobber, but a match like this makes me see it. He sells his vulnerability really nicely. Chase is beautifully bendy, making him a better heel AND jobber.

So bendy.

Same position, better result for Chase.

Who the real heel? Both of them!

In the end, I loved this battle between the bad boys. It feels like a lot of thought and energy went into how things should play out. They've got some real chemistry and I was definitely ready for them to start making out before heading to the showers together (but they made the right call to keep things going). They both proved they're skilled at winning or losing, but I will say that I still prefer them both winning.

So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment