Friday, July 10, 2020

Review: Rob Adonis vs. Lee Thomas (NewPro Wrestling)

This match has come up in blog conversation a couple of times. The first time was on Sean Pford's Inner Jobber blog when he saw an image and wanted an identification. I was able to provide it (a rare feat for me). While that post is gone, it directly led to my review of Pepper Parks vs. Brad Smith from NewPro Wrestling. This time, Rob Adonis vs. Lee Thomas from NewPro 5 came up on my review of Young Ady vs. Max Morrison as a related teacher vs. student video.

It's teacher v student in this
"vintage" match.

This video really feels like it's of an earlier time. I called it "vintage" above, which is what the "genius" at the Apple store called my six-year old iMac when he explained why he couldn't service it. I guess if Apple can re-define "genius", they can re-define "vintage". Since this is way more than six years old and feels fairly timeless for me, I'm sticking with it. Oh yeah, and the match right before it has a guy in a confederate flag trunks, so trigger warning there.

Anyway, Rob Adonis is a big burly brute. I can't think of anyone like him wrestling now, but he is very reminiscent of classic southern cowboy heels. He's got the swagger and attitude of them, too. And Lee Thomas is a great contrast. A hairy, hunky daddy type, he's more than willing to go dirty, even more than Adonis. Still, somehow he actually seems like the good guy in this battle.

It's rasslin' not wrestling.

Putting some beef behind them punches.

Teach is full of moves he never taught Adonis.

The story is a fairly simple one. Adonis arrives looking and sounding like a bully. He's looking forward to kicking his teacher's ass. I assume to avenge past harsh training, because Lee seems like the type to be a rough taskmaster. Is it time for the student to surpass the teacher? The hairy stud is unimpressed and more than willing to teach his former student a lesson. Tension set.

When I first saw this, I figured that the big man would squash the smaller stud, but he doesn't. If anything, Thomas dominates more of this back-and-forth match. In fact, I'd say the teacher comes across way better than the student for most of the action. He's dirtier, knows more tricks and counters, and generally has skills while Adonis has beef. Lots and lots of beef.

One of my favorite bearhug counters ...
a kiss of death sleeper!

Nice hold.

The big man brings out the big moves.

Action-wise, it's a strong classic pro-style match. The storyline makes it intense and a real grudge match feeling comes through. The guys keep it rough and hard-hitting. During the match, each guy gets time on top and there are mini-victories. The ending features the winner sore, exhausted, and hobbling out of the ring while the loser lies unconscious and wrecked.

Teach is gettin' pissed.

Don't get cocky, old man.

A reversal into a reversal. Criss cross!

In the end, I can't really explain why this match made such an impact on me. There's nothing objectively great about it when I look back at it. It's good, but so are a lot of matches. It doesn't go the way I expected or even would have wanted (although that is often a good thing). These aren't favorite wrestlers of mine. As I try to write about it, it's a mystery. But I loved it at the time and I still love it now. So, there you go.

And that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing up a full review of this match! I was intrigued by your brief description of it in the comments of your previous post, and now I think I'm fully sold. I love the character dynamic and the body types, and I am totally obsessed with kiss-of-death sleepers! I checked out the preview clip on the NewPro website. I did notice the guy you mentioned in the preceding match who was wearing confederate flag trunks. While I hate that particular gear choice, I will admit that I was drawn in when he pulled his trunks down to reveal a black thong while giving his opponent a stinkface. Would've been so much better if he'd just ditched the trunks completely from the start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there’s a great idea! Can’t go wrong with a plain thong.

      Hope you enjoy the match!

      Delete
  2. Wow!
    Flashing back to the days of VHS… damn! I loved this match at the time (and continue to do so). It’s too bad these are not available for download (…and never will be “thanks beegee”)… There is way too little of Lee Thomas (or Rob) on YouTube considering how often Lee was shown on local Georgia TV “Rasslin”… what could have happened to all of those tv tapes???

    I commented back when you first brought up “New Pro” Wrestling in 2017. There is such a dearth of this type of wrestling around. Some matches at Cameron’s w4h get close to these old school matches but I would love to see Cameron do move of these type of matches in a ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who never would've had a chance to watch regional shows like that, it would be nice to see them. I only know these guys from NewPro. You have to think that the shows all exist.

      Delete