Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Review: Brendan Byers vs. Kayden Keller (BGEast)

Is there anything better than seeing two big heels put their pride on the line against each other? Maybe, but it's definitely one of those storylines that I love. Well, I'm starting 2020 with a couple of big BGEast heels. This Heel Bash 3 match is a few catalogues old (137, we're on 140 now), but my research for my 2019 Besties ballot reminded me about it and that I never reviewed it.

Big boys doing big boy things.


No surprise, I like both these guys a lot. Both Brendan Byers and Kayden Keller got a lot of my attention for the Caveys and the BESTIES. Brendan won a Cavey this year and Kayden was first runner-up for Favorite Heel. I nominated Kayden twice for Sexiest Match for his battles against Calvin Haynes and for this one. Brendan also made my Top Heel and Hottest Liplock ballot.

In this match, they're an awesome pair. Both guys are tall (6'2"), big (200+) and strong (just look at the images). Byers is rocking red trunks while Keller goes for badass black. Brendan's more muscular and mature, but overall, I think this is a battle of near-equals, which is always exciting. And they're both cocky heels. You just know one guy is going to get his comeuppance. And he does, big time.

Kayden gets nasty.

I bet Kayden hasn't received too many of those.

Yeah, make it hurt!

Brendan Byers vs. Kayden Keller is 30 minutes, mostly back-and-forth with a clear-cut winner in the end. He gets a beautifully sexy ten-count the rolls the unconscious loser to the ring apron so he can carry his limp carcass over his shoulder the back. A nice slap to the helpless (former?) heel's ass emphasizes the winner's superiority as the big MAN in town while his victim's inner jobber boy is exposed for all to see.

These guys are 664 BGEast wrestlers apart (Byers is wrestler 124 and Keller is wrestler 788), but the younger hunk might have more experience as a heel. After all, Brendan only returned in his current form late last year while his opponent has been dominating little jobber boys for the past few years. Maybe that gives Kayden an advantage? It certainly keeps things interesting.

Kayden wrecked! The neck breaker is under-used.

The young punk is really proud of himself.

You know the boys are big when they
BOTH bounce on impact!

Action-wise, it's really good with big moves and painful submission holds. The guys bring their arrogance, with cocky dominance both ways and mocking trash talk. They both sell their punishment, with Brendan remembering his old training when Kayden is on top. Both guys put down with piledrivers. Both guys get stretched. When they get in trouble, Kayden goes low and Brendan goes big.

It takes a double ball shot to bring big Brendan down.

Kayden gets a piledriver.

Brendan gets a piledriver.

In the end, I thought this was great. I'm so impressed with both these heels. They're both tough, strong and come out with their images intact. It's my definition of sexy, especially as the post-match fun is left to our imagination. Seeing two big boys go at it hard and decisively like this is a rarity in underground action and it's a huge special treat, especially with this level of skill.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I did a search for the analysis you did on 'the arena' from BG... (But I cant find it, so I thought I would ask you...)
    This match is part of the current BG "sale" and I've considered buying it but their site is so full of "terms and conditions" that I cant decide if I have to pay to "join" the 'arena' and the 'buy' the match or what?

    I don't do dvds any more (and BG's shipping prices are much too high to just mail a dvd imho) but HTG they are limiting purchases by not just allowing a download and be done with it. (right, I realize they're paranoid about having their stuff spread across the internet for "free" but I don't visit/use "those sites")
    Your reply would be super appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, yes, BGEast has the worst distribution model possible. Their fear of piracy is ridiculous, outdated, and their system doesn’t prevent it. All it does is inconvenience their fans and lower sales. Ugh.

      Anyway, back to the point. So I am a paying member of the Arena. As I understand it, VOD’s are available to anyone but they’re more expensive for non-paying members. You’ll need to create a free account to rent and watch, but there is a free option. There’s a “create account” button when you click to VOD.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate the reply.
      I seem to remember you wrote up this topic in the past but a search did not find it. Thanks for your time.

      Delete
    3. Of course. I’d direct you to it, but I don’t remember it either! Search isn’t much help because Arena pulls up all the Thunders Arena content, which is like 150 posts and BGEast gets you 140.

      Delete