Saturday, January 11, 2020

Review: Rob Palomino vs. David Cuplu (Spotland Scrappers)

New year, new you is a common theme right now. Every brand wants us to embrace change (as long as its us changing to them, not going the other way). Well, here’s something new. My first-ever video from Spotland Scrappers. Not just my first review. Literally the first video I’ve ever purchased and watched from the UK-based wrestling video company. Wow.

It's "old dog" David Cuplu
against young pony Rob Palomino.


Spotland Scrappers has been on my radar for years but I just never pulled the trigger. I found their old site confusing and overwhelming. I could never really figure out what they sold, who their wrestlers were or whether I’d like the video. I’ve been tempted by the few reviews I’ve seen but then when I went to buy, my brain froze up. I need order and I found chaos.

I decided to try again. New year, new you. I admit, I’m still confused but that’s due to quantity as much as structure. It’s slightly easier to navigate but there’s a lot there. I nearly gave up until I saw the prices. $8 for one video. I was, like, “Is that all? Fuck it, just buy something, Alex. The time you’re spending on the search is worth more than the video.”

Gotta be faster than that, kid.

Not so fast, David. The pony boy has other ideas.

A "public warning" means nothing to David.

Yes, I talk to myself. Anyway, I chose three Rob Palomino videos. Why? Did I know who Rob Palomino was before I bought? No, I did not. Did I know what the matches would be like? No, I did not. So, why? Well, he looked cute. Tall, lanky and baby-faced, he kind of reminded me of young Alex Wright before he became a dancer character. And with his name, he's a natural pony boy.

Rob is cute. He’s a fresh-faced young man who looks like a giant in comparison to the other guys. Well, a giant vertically not horizontally. He’s quite thin but he’s strong and tough. The young colt comes out fighting and comes across as brave and resilient. He’s the good guy here, but not a jobber. Rob won’t break the rules but he’ll make you pay if you try something.

Opposite Rob is David Cuplu. He’s a hot and confident little soft-bellied bad boy. With his swarthy looks, he makes a good contrasting heel for the babyface beanpole. David will definitely break the rules and he does, frequently. The ref threatens him with “public warnings” (must be a Brit Pro thing) but he shrugs it off and keeps pushing the envelope.

The young stud knows how to make an entrance.

Rob's suffering is really good.

He might be young and pretty but he's no jobber.

Rob Palomino vs. David Cuplu does have an active and experienced ref. It’s run as eight three-minute rounds with the win coming via two pins or submissions or one knockout. Both guys get a fall before the winner gets his second and decisive victory. The rounds thing was weird at first but it’s played for drama as multiple times David has Rob in trouble but the youngster is saved by the bell.

Action-wise, this is classic pro action with classic holds and classic power moves. It's faster-paced than most gay-oriented wrestling videos, but not too fast like the modern day American indie approach. David's good at being bad and Rob looks sexy suffering. I really appreciate the youngster's scrappy nature as he fights hard and never says die.

Rob keeps fighting, but turns out that belly isn't so soft.

Smooth move, boy.

Can swarthy David finish off the young colt?

In the end, this was a good introduction to Spotland Scrappers. It's entertaining, energetic and well-executed. The action is good, the wrestlers are fun and it feels unique. And at $8, it was really good value for nearly 30 minutes of wrestling. I've got two more Rob Palomino videos to watch, so I'm looking forward to that.

So that’s my take. What’s yours?

Alex

6 comments:

  1. You did a great job with this write-up -- A+ effort. You described Spotland and their style perfectly, you explained clearly why you enjoyed the video, and you turned me on the way you wrote it. Your animations are gorgeous and your captions add some nice quick commentary/reaction. You definitely sold me on Spotland Scrappers (well I've ordered from them many times, but you reminded me how fun and inexpensive their videos are.) So great blogging by you sir and keep up the great work.

    You're right about the multiple rounds and Public Warnings -- these are rules from the old 1970s - 80s Brit Pro style as seen on their television show "World of Sport." The refs were very strict and the matches were heavy on rules and order (you may like that -- you said you need order). Its very British because it's proper and polite, in case the Queen is tuning in or something. I suppose they set it up like that so whenever some bloke does break a rule in that context, it seems even more outrageous and unforgivable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You actually helped put them on my radar with a post on a hot tag team match, so full circle.

      I do like (need) order with how things get organized (e.g., BGEast's video series actually telegraph the action, which is perfect for me) but I'm cool with chaos in the actual matches as long as it obeys the internal logic. If there are rules, they should be followed. If there are no rules, go wild and I'll be cool. So I did grow to appreciate the rounds and ref, especially since they added to the story.

      Delete
  2. David is one of my fav Spotland almuni! I don't think he wrestles any longer though :( The website has made improvements but it's still not the most user friendly thats for sure. I've bookmarked their way-o-pay page. It much easier to navigate/look at and figure out what you might enjoy.
    Their custom matches are also VERY affordable compared to other companies. So glad to see you give them a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I'll have to check him out some more. He was fun and I like his beefy little body. Yes, the wayopay page is where I landed to navigate.

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting and helpful post!
    $8 is certainly a huge incentive to try this product. I’m going to give it a look.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome! Warning that there’s a lot to look at but yeah, the risk is fairly low at $8. Even the $11.50 matches aren’t that big a leap.

      Delete