Sunday, January 19, 2020

Review: Ace Owens vs. Zach Reno (Wrestler4Hire)

Ace: "I know this was supposed to be like a friendly exhibition or whatever, but you had to go and try and show off and one up me. So, now I might just have to make you submit."

Okay, it's official. I could never work for most of the wrestling video companies. I have no willpower. Like none. And most of the companies film matches then release them slowly over time. Like I planned to do with this Wrestler4Hire review and yet here I am, posting this two months before I wanted to. Oh well, that's just what these two boys did to me.

It's all Ace's fault that I'm posting this today.


Last month, I said that Zach Reno was having a moment. He's reaching Scrappy/Austin Cooper levels of ubiquity. Just from Wrestler4Hire, Zach has another fun match that I want to review (vs. adorable Bobby Bryce) and just haven't gotten to yet. Zach's sporting short hair and a neatly trimmed beard. Very hot. He's also decked out in yellow underwear, which Ace admires (and it's easy to see why).

Meanwhile, Ace is wearing green trunks with a white shamrock. That's the reason I looked at this for March. Cute and perfect (just like Ace) for St. Patrick's Day. I realized that I needed to watch and capture the images now, because it'll likely be gone from streaming by March. So I watched and pulled 16 GIF's and three JPG's with the plan to narrow to my usual ten.

Two evenly-matched superstars.

Oh Zach, you're just a huge tease.

Not to be outdone, Ace doesn't mind showing off, either.

My plan fell apart because Ace looks quite excited here and that excitement is apparent in the front of his tight green trunks. He's packing from the start as he checks out Zach. His excitement led to my excitement, so it's really Ace's fault. I'm only a man.

The match is back-and-forth with a "training" pause in the middle while Zach tries to learn how Ace smoothly moves around the ropes. Other than that interlude, it's pretty fast-paced and hard-hitting. There's no deeper story or rivalry beyond two studs hitting the ring. It works for a video with two pretty evenly-matched studs (Zach's claim of being a 205-lbs heavyweight notwithstanding).

There are so many great counters and reversals.
Nice to see two guys refusing to go down.

"Friendly exhibition"? Not really.

Zach's claims of heavyweight status don't scare Ace.

They start pretty casual with each other but the intensity increases with Zach's sweat-level. About 3/4 through, Ace gets annoyed with Zach per the opening quote and things get really feisty for the remaining five. This slow build works great as both guys get serious and things like hair-pulling and sneaky shots get introduced. Since both are usually jobbers, I had no idea who would win.

Action-wise, the guys know their stuff, so it's mostly well-executed. I love the many, many counters and reversals. Neither of them just lie down and take the punishment, which is refreshing in a sea of squashes. When they're down, they find cool and creative ways to get back on top. The action is mostly a random selection of hot moves and sexy holds designed to show the other guy off.

Shiny Zach gets rough.

Can Ace give Zach the boot?

Or does Zach kick the Irish boy to the curb?

In the end, these two guys are easy to watch, fun as heck and know how to entertain. I'm a huge fan of both and this match delivers with a ton of fun and sexy pro action. Ace's gold trunks might be smaller and sexier but he sure looks amazing here, rocking those green trunks. And Zach continues his rise to the upper echelons of underground wrestling. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

So what are other bloggers saying?



So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

4 comments:

  1. Hey, great write-up and animations, as always. I enjoyed this match a lot too (the back-and-forth, the hair pulling, the amazing trunks on both guys, etc.) and I wrote about it at http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/wordpress/?p=35956.

    I like how you describe being unable to resist posting these images and writing about this match because it's so hot: "It's really Ace's fault. I'm only a man." I often feel the same way -- I can't help it that I keep finding so many hot wrestling images. It's not my fault that so many hours of amazing wrestling footage by hundreds (thousands?) of incredible looking athletes is being churned out weekly these days. It's not my fault either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have someone understand my weakness.

      You did an awesome job focusing in your post. I missed it due to the holidays, so thanks for the link back. I’ve added it, plus I just noticed that Joe covered this match this morning, so it’s a rare trifecta.

      Delete
  2. That moment you captured in the third gif was worth the price of admission for me. Absolutely breath-taking and crotch-stiffening. Zach certainly does know how to work it for the camera! Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome! Thanks for the compliment. That moment is a good one. :)

      Delete