Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Review: Brendan Byers vs. Joey McCoy (Muscleboy Wrestling)

Full disclosure: This video was sent to me by Muscleboy Wrestling.

As usual, I'm a catalogue behind with my MBW viewing. They've released catalogue 18 featuring a lot of amazing studs and even shared three matches from that one with me. I'll get to them in February, but there's still work to be done here. Brendan Byers vs. Joey McCoy is the last video I'm reviewing from catalogue 17 but in no way is it the least.

It's a catchweight classic.


Brendan Byers and Joey McCoy could not be any more different. Well, they could, but they're pretty darn different. Age, height, weight, persona, background, attitude ... all unique. Brendan is older, big and bad. He cut his teeth as a jobber in gay-oriented wrestling videos. Now, he's a quiet Terminator of big and small. Joey is young, small and feisty. He's a pro-trained little stud who's demonstrative and amazingly expressive.

The main thing they share (at least in my eyes) is that they both won wrestler and match Cavey awards in 2019. Brendan won for his transformation to uber-heel and his match against another smaller guy - Dante. Joey won for being my Favorite Jobber and half of my Favorite Match. Both matches happened in the MBW mat room, so I definitely had high expectations. 

Opposites really do attract. 

Big Brendan has the muscle.

Feisty Joey has the fight.

This type of catchweight match can be predictable and that's fine, but these guys don't go for the obvious. It's surprisingly back-and-forth. Not equally but enough to be super-hot. Joey's endless fight and determination keeps him in every match and I love that he makes Brendan work. The big man seems to enjoy it, too. He dials up his fight to handle the unexpected challenge getting pretty brutal with the resilient Joey.

Brendan's not too big to wrap up Joey.

THUD! THUD! THUD!

CRACK!

Action-wise, these two are so good at working the small space. Joey is very bendy and he can take a bump. Brendan really abuses the smaller stud when he has the chance. It looks so stiff that I felt it through my iPad screen. And Joey knows how to sell pain. Going the other way, Joey knows the right moves to convincingly dominate big men, giving Brendan a chance to bring out his former jobber skills.

Joey knows he's got to keep the big man down.
STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

Love a bridge after a body slam.

Joey unleashes his inner Hulk.
JOEY SMASH!

In the end, this is exactly what I expected in a great way. Both guys are on point from start to finish. They prove me right for giving them awards (because it's all about me). Wee Joey dominating big bad Brendan is hot. And the massive heel bending the lightweight is beautiful. It all just works and the hardest part is lasting until the end.

What are other bloggers saying?


So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see how I would do against Joey, maybe I could score my first win....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! He’s pretty tough but you’d at least have a shot.

      Delete
    2. Might end up a humiliating defeat if I can't...

      Delete