Saturday, June 9, 2018

Review: Frey vs. Vinny (Thunders Arena)

When Thunders Arena won my 2017 Cavey Award winner for Favorite Promotion, I praised them for delivering consistent quality. Scrappy and Blayne led the way, but almost everything just clicked. So far, it's been a different story in 2018. At best, I can call this year inconsistent. The charming and physically perfect Cason is the only major rookie highlight, but even he's not been infallible.

After a couple of recent bad decisions (e.g., Frey vs. Professor Muscles and Brute/Joey King vs. Felix/Sage) and the announcement of a shift to a browser-based video format (.webm instead of .mp4), I've decided it's time to be a little more thoughtful about what I buy. I almost jumped on all five new Vegas videos, but I managed to calm myself. Patience.

Anyway, Frey vs. Vinny has the kind of qualities I'll be looking for. Two fairly reliable studs that I like, on the classic mats, with a simple premise, bought during a recent sale. I was surprised by this video, but in a good way as the action is different than what I expected, but it was hot and engaging.

Vinny and Frey are back for another
roll around the mats.

Vinny is a classic Thunders guy. Not just because he's been around for years, but because he's big, built and brash. Now, you can add in 'bruised'. Even Frey questions if he's physically fit for a match, but Vinny believes that he is. The big guy certainly looks impressive. Massive and powerful, Vinny dwarfs Frey.

Vinny: This is what real men do. Get bruises from actually working out. Doing stuff. Hauling big ass fuckin' trucks. Tires.

Frey:
Did you tear the muscles?


Vinny:
No, if I tore it then I wouldn't be here right now gettin' ready to kick the shit outta you.


Frey:
I don't know, Vinny. It sounds like something you would do.

I like the idea that Vinny would wrestle with a torn muscle. His blue collar vibe is part of his appeal. I do occasionally cringe at some of his banter, but in this video, it feels more natural than usual and much more intense. Frey seems cool with it, so I think that it's just who Vinny is. He's like one of those guys on the court who can go just that little bit too far in his trash talk. His opening line is, "What's up, slut? How're you doin'?" Cute, but from there, we get, "How about I twist your arm and shove it down your mouth so it comes out your ass?"  Okay, maybe a little over the top, big guy.

Vinny shows up huge ... and bruised.

Who is twisting whose arm off?

Vinny's big, bruised body can take a pounding.

The studs remind us that they've wrestled before. Frey faced the big guy in one of Vinny's early matches (here). It's definitely the first one I bought with the blue collar brute. And they faced off in a Custom Series match (here). The guys seem to have a casual chemistry and comfort with one another, the extreme dialogue notwithstanding. And they know how to work the mats.

Frey: "I'm gonna tear your adductor!"
Yeah, like Vinny cares about that.

Vinny's still a powerhouse, no matter how he's feeling.

Frey needs to get creative to compete.

The surprise for me was that Frey dominates more of the match. He's unable to put Vinny away, but he definitely controls the big guy. There are low blows, a camel clutch, splits, armbars and more keep Vinny in pain, but there's no submission. Meanwhile, every so often, Vinny gets pissed and overpowers Frey, showing both his opponents and us viewers that he really is the powerhouse in this battle.

I like seeing the dynamics here. Vinny makes a good victim and Frey seems to enjoy getting a chance to get some revenge for his earlier losses.

Frey showing off against the bigger beefcake.

You can only push Vinny so far.

Frey forces Vinny to look at his bicep.
I just love a moment like this.

In the end, this was a solid video that surprised and delighted me. It was cool to see the guys bring a new dynamic to their battles, reversing the usual story of Vinny dominating Frey with his superior power.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

5 comments:

  1. You make mention how Frey vs Professor Muscle is not a good match, but there's no review as to why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true. I couldn’t work up the energy to review it. To start, Professor Muscles was miscast/misnamed because he’s not ... smart? Frey talks and wrestles circles around him but not in a good way. It’s one time that Frey didn’t make his opponent look good. And so I was more embarrassed than aroused while watching it.

      Delete
    2. I bought that match and I think Frey is getting too old. Professor Muscles was looking hot in that match. Thunders made a huge deal about him by posting it on their blog, but he only had 2 matches. Something's not making sense and it has plenty to do with Mr. Mike.

      Delete
    3. I was kind of curious to see of review post about it too.

      Delete
    4. Hm, let me see if I can think of anything more to say about it. It was a shame.

      Delete