Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: Cameron Matthews vs. Max Quivers (W4H)

Cameron Matthews in the catalogue description: "There’s something stimulating about seeing how much hurt and humiliation I can take, testing my survival instinct, exploring my pain threshold, especially against opponents who are way, way bigger than me. Max Quivers is way, WAY bigger than me ... and this time, he paid to bring the pain, and it’s my job to give a paying customer what he wants."

Not that I needed to be sold on Cameron Matthews vs. Max Quivers from Wrestler4Hire, but the video description definitely made me even more interested when this popped up on streaming. The opening quote is some great insight into Cameron's jobber mentality - he's a great wrestler, but he gets "stimulated" by offering him up to bigger men to test himself. Sounds like a plan to me.

Is Cameron about to shock the world!

Cameron is looking great in this one. In dark blue speedos and white boots, he's handsome, hunky and in great shape (for a beating). Just the perfect victim for his fully-clothed mountain of an opponent. They fit together perfectly. Cameron is submissive to his paying clients and Max is rich, dominant and cruel. The gravelly-voiced heel is ready to tear the prettyboy apart and Cam wants to take it to the limits.

Yes, Max, a dragon sleeper needs to hurt more.

You can almost hear the blood rushing to Cameron's
head in this lengthy suspended suplex.

Max doesn't do this because he has to,
he does it because he can.

I admit that I played a bit of a trick, putting Cameron on top as the intro image. As Max starts things, he lays it all out, "I didn't pay to have a chat. I paid to dominate you." The handsome hunk is an all-time great seller and Max is a huge masked monster heel. This goes exactly how you'd expect. Less than four minutes in, Cameron is whimpering "I quit" then taking it back. Soon after, he's done again.

And so it goes for most of the 20 minutes of action. Cameron begs for more abuse by taunting Max with one-liners, like calling him a ham-and-egger and comparing him to a $2-meal at Denny's. When Max brags about submitting him three times, Cameron counters that it's not even a record and that a real man would've "pinned me 20 times by now." Talking about asking for it.

Cameron: "I did not expect that."
(Really, Cam? Because I sure did.)

Struggling studs are so sexy.

Max: "If I used Jerry Lawler's move, does that
make me the King? The King of Customs?"

Action-wise, this is a match for lovers of big, brutal power moves. Quivers attacks the back relentlessly with multiple bodyslams, suplexes, and a ring-shaking power bomb. That is a move that you seldom see in underground wrestling and really never see as well as this one. He dishes out multiple piledrivers, each more devastating than the last. Phew.

Beyond getting driven into the ring, Cameron falls victim to a suspended choke, body punishment and even some cheap and dirty stuff. And beyond that, he's forced to endure three different sleeper variations. He does try to fight back, even earning a brief hope spot, but he can't sustain it, selling the earlier back punishment. Of course, that's perfect because we're not here to watch the big man get hurt and humiliated, right?

Cam loves bridging to sell his slams
and I love him for it.

Max thanks Lon Dumont for teaching him this move.

BOOM!

In the end, Cameron got the test he so desperately craved. He suffers a ton of hurt from the big bruiser and lived to show it to us, so that's a big plus. Humiliation is in the eye of the beholder. I think he looked positively studly taking his punishment like a man then basically asking for more.

So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

11 comments:

  1. It's always a good video when Cameron gets squashed. I do wish they had leaned a little more into the Max wants to beat Cameron so badly he paid for this element.

    And that 6th gif was probably my favorite part of the video. Face down, ass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that sell for a piledriver. Not sure I've seen it before as usually the guys collapse immediately. Very suggestive.

      That's an interesting thought on the narrative. I'd say that this was Cameron's POV driving the story, not Max's. Whereas I think Max vs. Eliot was more the big guy's perspective, exactly as you suggested - it was about him buying time with Eliot to beat him up.

      Delete
    2. Very, very suggestive, but it fits for Cameron. Hopefully, we see him use it more in the future.

      I just meant more references to the fact that this is actually, in the story, a paid thing.

      Delete
  2. Cameron is awesome...I think he makes a better heel. I think he’s the most versatile out there and can pull off both roles, and also be competitive because he’s a skilled wrestler. But when he shows his dark side, it’s perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great perspective. Any suggestions that you think best showed Cameron's dark side?

      Delete
    2. Let’s see. Absolute favorite is W4H Cameron vs Graham Varnett. Mostly dominating Drew Harper in NHB. He wrecks Brad Barnes (yeah, who doesn’t) I’m Bodybuilder Beatdown (BG East). And he gets half credit for the epic battle with Austin Cooper in Summer Sizzlers 3 (BG East). He has a few others, but these are my favorites.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the recommendations. I’m excited to see Cameron in a more heelish role.

      Delete
  3. My Cameron has always been in the pretty boy jobber category and I think he gets turned on when mountain men like Max use and abuse him in the ring. In recent years Cam has put on more muscle and grows facial hair and is even more of man than twink and a pretty hot guy in wrestling terms. If I'm honest I do like Cam being a winning heel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you’re good with every version of Cameron. I totally get that (and I’m right there with you).

      Delete