Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Review: Brendan Byers vs. Dante (Muscleboy Wrestling)

Full disclosure: This video was sent to me by Muscleboy Wrestling.

Obviously, I have a fairly active imagination. Especially when it comes to wrestling. And that doesn't just refer to my stories. Sometimes, when I watch videos, I put on added storylines into them. Not because the video is bad (well, maybe sometimes, but not in this case), but because I get inspired by the wrestlers and action. Brendan Byers vs. Dante is one of those times where my mind went to work. I explain all of this so you understand the context of my review.

Byers gets revenge for all the bullying he endured.


If you're watching this at face value, it's a fairly simple squash. Veteran Brendan crushes young buck Dante. It's a 100% squash that relentless and ruthless with one-sided erotic action as the older stud checks out his victim and forces a few kisses out of him. Both guys are hot. Byers is big and brutal. he knows how to heel and lean and light Dante knows how to suffer. So it's good on its own.

Action-wise, Brendan shows off his man-muscles and Dante's boy-body as he locks on a lot of classic holds, like crabs, camels, bearhugs, cradles, and an ab stretch. The heel shows off his power as he manhandles the jobber with big boy abuse like a body slam, over-the-knee backbreaker, and a suspended full nelson. I can't list every move, but it's pretty non-stop for 30 minutes.

In the end, this is a good squash. Brendan makes an intense and convincing heel as he crushes the younger, smaller stud. The age, size and experience differences all make this really interesting. As well, it's nice to see Brendan be so into his victim.

The outcome is never in doubt.

A bridge to more pain.

This isn't over until Byers says it is.

So, that's what you see.

In my head, though, I thought about these two bucks. Experienced Brendan Byers has blown back onto the wrestling video scene in the past year. He's transformed himself from tall and lean jobber boy to badass muscle heel. Here, he's rocking camouflage trunks, looking like a nasty drill sergeant who doesn't have time for cocky young punks who think they're hot shit.

Dante is a prettyboy. He's trimmed down since his debut, losing that bit of beef he had and getting lean. After being competitive at first, it feels like he's been getting crushed by bigger guys lately. In a way, he's living out what Brendan experienced when he was the same age. In baby blue briefs with his jet black hair and boyish charm, he's looking like a wrestler rookie or even a superhero sidekick

Byers checks out what he's working with.

Yeah, that's pretty tempting.

You think you're ready for the big leagues, boy?

So, when I think about this, there's an obvious training angle here. Even as Byers brutally destroys the young stud, I'm imagining he's doing it not as an enemy, but as a trainer. A guy testing the kid's skill, but more testing his resolve to become a soldier/wrestler/hero. And so, I put that element onto this video as I watched it. Imagining it as the master putting the wannabe through his paces.

With this added storyline, it took me a couple of tries to get through this. Dante was definitely a Robin-style sidekick in my head a lot. Watching him try to hold on (he bravely kicks out of taunting pins, even though it means he has to endure more torture) as he tries to prove his worth. And Byers' nastiness, mocking, arrogance and abuse played even better for me.

Welcome to the team, Dante.
Hope you survive the experience.

Is Dante sure he really wants this? 

You done, boy?

What are other bloggers saying?


So, those are my two takes. What about you?

Alex



6 comments:

  1. I like this angle, makes me hope for a future tag match to really cement the relationship. It also reminds me of Brendan's recent match over at BGEast with Ace Aarons. I don't know if you've seen it yet, but watching it made my own imagination go haywire and i'd love to see your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It’s interesting that you mention that match, because I was excited when I saw the pairing, but I was turned off by the Arena pics. It reminded me of Ace/Ty, which I found to be too long, too slow and too much about foreplay and not enough about wrestling. Ace/Brendan looked like that.

      Delete
  2. As an admitted fan of Brendan, this match does exemplify his new heel status. And I like the angle that Brendan is potentially training Dante, given his early days as an abused boy toy. I think this is more of a statement to the community and we should see Brendan continue to be challenged by bigger, stronger and increasingly skilled opponents until we either see him as a “king of the ring”, or finally get taken down by a more worthy opponent. I hope this is the case and it goes on for a long, long time. Awesome match and write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That’s a great idea. I’m sure Brendan would be up to the challenge against the best anywhere.

      Delete
  3. Yes I would definitely be up for the challenge! Thank you for the great reviews lately. I’m glad to be back on the wrestling scene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brendan? Thanks for coming back! Your triumphant return is the best one I can remember.

      Delete