Saturday, September 21, 2019

Review: Iceman18 vs. Loki (Thunders Arena)

I haven't been watching a ton of wrestling videos lately and a lot of the ones I've seen? I don't really have a ton to say about them. They're neither great nor terrible. I'm feeling like good is the enemy of the reviewer. I mean, what can I say about a good video other than 'the guys are hot' or 'the action is fine'. I've looked at branching out to newer places (for me), but I can't quite figure out what to buy at those sites and I'm not up for memberships that I barely use.

Anyway, with Iceman18 vs. Loki, the guys are hot and the action is fine.

It's like a 70's buddy cop show -
boyish and blond + dark and manly.


Back in the day, the key to creating contrast on pretty much every buddy-show was to use age or hair color. So many shows cast two hot guys where one was blond and the other dark-haired. Looking back, it's sort of a funny way to create visual tension, but it obviously worked because everyone did it. Watching blond and boyish Iceman18 face off against dark and manly Loki, I felt that same kind of dynamic at play. And it worked to give this basic match some kind of conflict.

The guys are the thing here.

Babyface > beard?

I do like seeing Loki manhandled.

In my Scrappy vs. Aspen review (here), I said it felt unusual for Thunders Arena, especially in the pacing and action. Iceman18 vs. Loki is very classic Thunders in every way. It's slower-paced as the guys trade long-held submission holds, flex and banter about who needs to go to the gym more. They go back-and-forth until one guy proves his superiority, strutting out and leaving the other guy suffering on the mat. In my head, I did apply a boy vs. man dynamic, but that was just in my head.

This is not a squash. The hunks trade-off,
each getting their time on top.

The hair does get pulled a lot,
emphasizing the physical contrast.

Loki tests those blond roots.

In the end, this is a solid Thunders video. It's simple and direct without any real story or pretense. It's just two hunks hanging out, talking big and trading holds to test themselves and maybe prove something. I do like the chemistry between the guys and it's fun to see them suffering in holds, especially Loki. The physical contrast was enough to create some tension.

Classic holds.

Does the blond boy go down?

Or is it the beard that breaks?

What are other bloggers saying?


So, that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment