Sunday, October 27, 2019

Review: #685 Axel vs. Gabe Steel (UCW)

Gabe Steel: I believe that people like to see you suffer, Axel. I don't think there's been enough of that. So, that's when a guy like me comes in and takes care of that problem.

Gabe Steel must be reading blogs because he nailed a very common sentiment that I see in the comments for posts of Axel matches. There are definitely some vocal commenters who want a change of pace where UCW's golden boy gets taken down a peg or ten. Well, Axel vs. Gabe Steel might be the video for you. Axel definitely suffers here as he gets brutally punished.

Just so I don't deceive you, this match is back-and-forth (UCW doesn't really do 100% squashes), but Gabe dominates more (probably 65% of the action) and it feels like even more than that. More importantly, he gets Axel squealing in a way I haven't heard before.

Gabe tries to answer the shortage in Axel suffering.

As it turns out, Gabe is right that he's the perfect guy to make Axel suffer. He's bigger, determined and a total tough guy. The rising star looks great in his bright and skimpy trunks against his smooth and rich dark skin. Gabe's extra beef and power bring an extra element to the UCW ring. I like his smiling malevolence as he focuses on taking down the golden boy.

I actually like nasty, dominant Axel. Seeing him take down overly confident muscle boys is pretty much always hotter for me than the reverse. Except here. I'm not sure why, if it's some change in Axel or because Gabe is just that good a heel, but the UCW icon steps up his jobber game. He makes me believe that he's feeling every powerful and painful hold.

Gabe is a strong man.

Gabe: "See, I always had this dream about a match
with you and it always ended up like this."

Gabe: "That's called power."

This is a strip match. Midway through the match, the outer trunks come off, leaving the guys in thongs. When the loser submits, he's completely stripped and left naked on the mat, writhing in humiliation. It's also kind of a sequel. It's quickly pointed out that Gabe has already lost to Axel and beaten Axel's boyfriend in a strip match. So, there's a some obvious payback both ways.

Right away, Axel tries to psych Gabe out, but the rookie is in it to win it from the start. He's confident that he can avenge his loss and collect Axel's gear as a trophy to put next to Wolfboy's. I get that. It would be nice to beat and strip a pair of boyfriends. The tension quickly turns into wrestling. Gabe is chatty throughout, with some hot and memorable lines whenever he's on top.

Gabe: "I know you're something special at UCW.
I wanted the chance to take on the champ." 

Just to remind you that Axel gets his turn, too.

Gabe came to play.

Action-wise, there is a ton going on here. The most memorable parts for me are Gabe dominating Axel, which is why those are the images I've pulled. The superstar sells like I've never seen him sell before. When Gabe bends and beats on him, Axel screams, whimpers, moans, begs and curses in pain. Gabe does enjoy his work. He loves torturing the UCW golden boy, which makes me love him.

Gabe is capable of power moves and he does some really good ones. He lifts, throws, slams and crushes Axel with body slams, a backbreaker, rack, piledriver, choke lift, and suspended upside down bearhugs. There is also some dirty action with low blows and claws, in keeping with the rules-free, win-at-all-costs tempo of a really good UCW match.

Gabe: "All I want is to hear you suffer."

Gabe: "I like seeing you grovel. It's becoming of you."

If you've never been toyed with and tortured in
an over-the-knee backbreaker, try to change that.

In the end, this was a really good match that delivered everything I wanted and more. Gabe beefs up the UCW ring as he gives Axel a real hard-fought challenge. The golden boy's selling is right up there with the best in underground wrestling, something I would not have said before seeing this. If you agree with Gabe that there hasn't been enough of Axel suffering, you'll get it here.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

10 comments:

  1. This looks like a great match, and those gifs are a sizzling complement to the review. Nice one, Alex. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do think I nailed it on the final GIF. I chose that for Twitter and the response has been great.

      Delete
  2. Gabe Steel adds some bulk to the roster. Good match and a challenge for Axel. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Yep, that was my take, too.

      Delete
  3. Please, can you tell who gets naked in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's been a minute so I guess I can spoil it ...

      SPOILER! the loser is axel SPOILER!

      I've watched the ending several more times knowing who would lose and it's still great.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much. I was almost sure, I think Gabe will never be naked.

      Delete
  4. You should check out El Fuego vs. Tyson Hammer. Amazing match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I like both those guys. Are you talking about the Halloween one or a different one?

      Delete
    2. The one right before that. They had one for the belt. It’s like 2 matches before Halloween one. Maybe u can do a 2 matches in one like u did with Steel and Loki

      Delete