Saturday, October 7, 2017

1,000,000

The Cave has officially passed the 1 million page views milestone. Say what? How the heck did that happen?

Launched on February 28 2015, it took 953 days to get here. Technically, if you count the New Stories blog I used at launch, I passed a million in August. I don't count that way, though. Somehow it's just not the same as seeing that little counter on the lower right actually hit seven figures.

So that's when we got here. HOW did we get here?

The Bat contributes a lot of views
with my #2 and #3 biggest stories.
(vs. Spartan and vs. Mr. Riddle)

1,000,000 page views for my little wrestling story blog starts with my three-legged stool of support: Readers. Bloggers. Producers + Wrestlers.

Readers:

Now, a million views is not a million visitors. But it still means that there's a lot of people stopping in. Real, actual people. Yes, my personal visits are in the thousands from me checking in on the blog, but they're not as many as you might think. I clicked for Blogger to not count my visits. I also stop in less than once a day, actually, more like once a post for the past year and a half as I've gotten more comfortable that things are actually posting. And there are a few from spam bots, but I don't think it's that many based on what I can see.

Tarzan and the Twins of Tibor = 2% of my views,
making it my #1 viewed post by a mile

Ty Alexander vs. Chace LaChance
My #1 viewed review from W4H AND overall

So 99% of the traffic is from you guys (and a few gals). Some of you I know better than others. Some of you I don't know at all. Whether you visited once or a thousand times, every one of you owns a share of this milestone. Congrats.

Bloggers:

Other bloggers have been very helpful and very supportive. I'm so happy that we're not in competition. Even when we don't agree, I love reading other blogs and get positively giddy when I get a link, a mention or a comment from another blogger. It's really quite cool.

Bard is obviously the most responsible for this blog existing. He provided a platform for my stories and thoughts, which morphed into this place.

By agreeing to post Flag vs. Flag,
Bard launched all of this!

In terms of views, though, it's Lucky Stallion that blew this place up when he posted on Tarzan and the Twins of Tibor. I suddenly had a 2,000 view day when I was getting 200 if I was lucky. It didn't keep up forever, but it was a huge boost and I'm sure some stayed. Reverse plug: If you're not supporting Lucky Stallion's Patreon, you're missing out!

With gorgeous images for Hercules Unbound,
Lucky Stallion has contributed more than just a link.

And in addition to being one of my most supportive commenters, Sean Pford is actually the single biggest source of traffic from another blog, thanks to Inner Jobber. I also get a lot of folks from links through Ringside, Fricks Sexy Pics and more. So I've been propped up a lot by the community, which feels great.

Sean has great taste, so I'm proud that he's a fan
(Caleb Blanchard from his 7/4/17 post)

Ace and Xaq are just two of the
guys I learned about from Frick's.

Producers + Wrestlers:

I view my blog as a story blog first, but there are only two of those a month. Reviews mostly fill up the rest of the month. When it comes to them, they are intended to be informational, not promotional. I don't like everything. I post about things that I don't like. Even on videos I love, I'll point out issues that I think you should know about before you buy.

Marco x 2 is my #1 post for Thunders, who've
been really generous with their support

When I was first blogging, I was nervous about not being 100% positive. Would I get hate mail? Nasty comments? Cease and desist notices? Banned from buying? It was tense for me, but I had to be honest. Luckily, nothing bad has happened. Admittedly I've preemptively avoided reviewing one promotion that asked La Sustancia P not to cover them, but no one I've featured has directly asked me to do anything differently.

I had an issue with the language used in Steve v Jake,
but it's my #1 Muscleboy Wrestling's post so far

In spite of my dubious tastes and editorial choices, I've received support in the form of videos and promotion from Krushco, Movimus, Thunders Arena and Wrestler4Hire. Ty Alexander drove people to check out my reviews of his matches. Cameron answered a bunch of questions for me. I've also received comments/acknowledgement from BGEast’s Kid Leopard and Muscleboy Wrestling. I'm impressed with how cool everyone has been.

You liked Krush getting crushed:
Krush vs. hottie Stan Torum is my #1 Krushco post
And the second time was the charm for Movimus:
Duke vs. CT: Rematch is #1 for them.

This obviously drives page views. When Wrestler4Hire re-tweets about my review, there's a bump. Same for Krushco and Movimus. When Thunders uses my review in their promotional efforts, there's a bump. And so, if they're using me for promotion, in a way, I'm using them the same way. It doesn't change what I do or don't post, but I can't deny the symbiotic relationship. And so they also helped push me to 1 million.

You liked my 3-part interview with Cameron,
which ranks as my #2 W4H content.

A lot of you checked out the Trophy Boy's debut ...
Ty vs. Beauxregard is #1 for BGEast.

So that's that. 1 million. Yay!

Now back to work.

Alex

16 comments:

  1. Congrats Alex! Thats a huge number and you deserve every single view. Im glad I was here for the journey and I because you write the best stories that continue to suprise with each chapter. Thanks for all you do man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I appreciate all your comments.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Alex! You work incredibly hard giving us two stories every month. Have you even ever missed a day? I don't think so.

    Plus, as you said, all of these great reviews. I know you've convinced me to buy quite a few matches. For instance, I hadn't paid much attention to Scrappy, until I started reading your reviews of him.

    Personally, I was very happy to find out Tarzan and Bat vs Spartan are your top two stories.

    That gif of Cameron and Ty is delicious. :)

    Onward to two million page views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! No, I haven't missed a story day yet. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that. I'm not surprised Bat/Spartan is number two, but I'm glad about it, too.

      As for the reviews, some months of those are harder than others, but I'm always happy to hear they're helpful. :)



      Delete
  3. Congrats, man! That's always a great goal to hit, and one well deserved by you. :)

    2015. Man, time really passes fast. It really feels like only a few months ago when I pointed my browser to your blog for the first time. Thanks, as always, for your hard work and for sharing it with us.

    Here's to another million before long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that and your support, of course. Time does fly. I can't believe I'm in year three either.

      Weird thing is, I really never thought I'd reach this milestone when I started. It certainly wasn't a goal. I still remember the first day I passed 100 views in a day and how big that sounded. I figured I'd have a little story blog for 20 fans from Bard's group and that's what this was.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Alex! Your work brings an incredible amount of joy to so many people, and we truly appreciate it. You can count me as one of the people who visits your site every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad to read that. It means a lot. :)

      Delete
  5. 1,000,000 well deserved hits. Your blog is a must view for anyone interested in this world of wrestling in all its forms, for those who just read and watch and for those who actually do participate to whatever degree. Keep the entries coming, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and all the comments you've added as you've explored the blog. They've been great.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Very well-earned; you obviously put a lot of loving work into your blog--stories and otherwise.

    (And aw! I'm so happy Inner Jobber was involved in any small way!)

    Now, to celebrate your million, I'm going to go stare at that photo of wedgied Chace LaChance for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great way to celebrate! You've been very involved, from your blog to your awesome comments, I appreciate it all!

      Delete
  7. Congrats Miller. Your blog is an inspiration. I've gone awol for basic reasons but hopefully I can come back soon. I hope that the 2 million mark comes even quicker, because this blog is just the best out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Appreciate all the inspiration + help getting here. :)

      At my current pace, it would take around 20 months to make it to 2 million, but somehow that doesn't seem as important as 1.

      Delete
  8. (Belated) congrats... I enjoy your writing... keep up the good work! See you at 2 miL...

    ReplyDelete