Saturday, December 21, 2019

Review: Cameron Matthews/Big Sexy vs. Austin Cooper/LaneHartley (W4H)

Major spoilers below ...

If Cirque du Soleil did a show about tag teams, this would be it. Their stuff is always about the journey of life. Well, this Wrestler4Hire video is the journey of a tag team. It runs the gamut of a tag team's life from conception to dissolution. Cameron needs a new partner, recruits Big Sexy, they train, face Cameron's archenemies and have the inevitable messy breakup. And all in 36 minutes!

Beautiful.

It's the total story of a tag team.

This video reminded me just how much I miss Big Sexy. God, he was such a stud and now my heart is broken all over again. LOL. Anyway, he looks, sounds and wrestles like the muscle god that he is. At his beefiest, the guy is stunning in his singlet and his trunks. He's playing the role of tag team tough guy, waiting for his chance while his partner gets pummeled.

Big Sexy's paired with Cameron (Little Sexy?), who plays the partner-in-peril. As an all-time great babyface jobber, it's the role he was born to play. Especially when facing the nasty powerhouse team of Austin Cooper and Lane Hartley. There's a ton of chemistry between all four guys, making the match both fun and intense. Their experience shows as they run through big power moves perfectly.

New partner, same result for Cameron.

One ring can't contain these four studs.

Cameron's a great partner-in-peril.

The first five minutes are the recruiting. Big Sexy is brought in as the enforcer, the big man, the heavyweight. He gets changed and Cameron helps him warmup. Next comes the training, which lasts for seven minutes. Cam is the man with a plan, but Big Sexy isn't interested in plans or being the junior partner. Yes, the seeds of discord are already sown.

It's at this point that the heels appear. The dastardly Lane Hartley and Austin Cooper. They've humiliated Cameron before, but the babyface is sure that it'll be different this time. Cam's got the big man backing him up. The next 20 minutes are tag action with Cameron in the role of victim and Big Sexy as his savior. The final few minutes are the betrayal and breakup. Turns out Big Sexy doesn't like being told what to do.

Phew. Mama mia, that's a spicy meatball.

Big Sexy can't understand what's wrong with his singlet
(neither can I) but Cameron wants a PRO partner.

Cam's the man with the plan,
but things are off to a rocky start.

Training gets intense as Big Sexy
proves he knows what he's doing.

Action-wise, the 24-minutes of match and post-match punishment is largely about manhandling Cameron. Big Sexy gets to deliver some payback to Lane and Austin, but that's not really the story. If you feel bad for the jobber, don't. He's a bossy and condescending partner, earning his comeuppance. Look for body slams, multiple piledrivers, bearhugs, backbreakers, double-teaming and low blows.

With so many piledrivers and DDT's in this match,
I believe Cameron is wobbly.

Where's Cameron's partner? Somebody save him!

Nobody puts Big Sexy in a corner.

In the end, I loved, loved, loved this. I love tag teams. I love all four guys. And I love the interpersonal dynamics between them. I will likely skip past the training part now that I have seen it, focusing on the destruction of Cameron, but I think it was all important to see because it makes this a true tag team epic. And Big Sexy is just so damn hot during the beginning, I couldn't skip past that. Really, this video just hit the mark amazingly well.

So, that's my take. What's yours.

Alex





10 comments:

  1. Is there a hotter man than Lane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clean-cut Lane is so handsome. When he debuted at BGEast in those red trunks against Brad Barnes, I was floored.

      Delete
  2. I have a handful of wrestlers who've since ended their run that I miss dearly. I wasn't too broken up about Big Sexy at the time (maybe because I at least knew he was leaving) but seeing him in that singlet, Damn, I'm absolutely missing him now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think partly because people have tried to assign “the next Big Sexy” to a couple of other people who are nowhere even close. It makes me realize how great he was.

      Delete
  3. So much wonderful Cameron goodness before Christmas! The match vs Cole, this one and the one against Max Quivers. But now it's made me greedy and I still want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The BGEast classic was a huge surprise so who knows when that’ll happen again, but I’m hoping the W4H stuff keeps coming.

      Delete
  4. Aw, for a few seconds when I saw the title, I thought Big Sexy had come back! Weird thing, usually I'd prefer trunks every time, but Big Sexy in that singlet? Every day please.

    On a side note that Big Sexy reminded me of: It's so awesomely weird seeing Ronnie Pearl or Tony Nese in WWE matches, or Tony Nese even in a wrestling video game--without me having to create him in it anymore. True story: my first brush with a celebrity on Twitter was years ago when I asked (pre-WWE) Tony Nese for his height and weight so I could accurately create him in a wrestling video game--and he replied and told me. So obviously, he's an awesome dude. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Big Sexy in that singlet is unreal from behind. Just amazing.

      I felt that same way about guys like Seth Rollins and Finn Balor with the WWE Heavyweight title. I was like, wait, they were cute little pro boys at Can-Am and BGEast and now they’re the big champs? I just wish Seth had kept his Tyler trunks like Finn kept his little gear.

      Delete
  5. The chemistry was amazing. All 4 of us were/are good friends outside the ring as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s awesome to read. It really comes through on the screen.

      Delete