Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2019 Cavey Awards: Matches

It's day two for the 5th Annual Cavey Awards.



Today, I'm honoring my favorite matches of 2019. As a reminder, eligible videos are based on when I first viewed them, not when they were filmed, released, provided to me, or purchased by me. If I viewed them for the first time between December 1, 2018 and November 30, 2019, they're up for consideration. And the winners are completely subjective.

What were my favorite matches?

Favorite Match: Scrappy v Joey McCoy (Muscleboy Wrestling)

What I said then: "This is a classic. The performances are perfect, the guys are amazing and the action is hot and exactly what I love about watching wrestling."

This match blew me away the first time I watched it and continues to be my standout match of 2019. Just perfect as two of the best wrestlers this year combine to make a perfect mat battle.

Celebrate, boys.

C'mon, guys, you both deserve credit.

Oh, I forgot. Scrappy doesn't share. Oh well.

Favorite Squash: Cameron Matthews vs. Cole Cassidy (BGEast)

What I said then: "An instant classic. It's obviously been in the vault for a while, but it's timeless. Cameron's incredible at any age. Cole's an all-time great. The action is perfect. And the ending is surprising and smoking hot."

The most competitive category with a dozen deserving winners, but this one rose above them all. From talent to action to story, it's everything a brilliant squash should be.

Yes, it's important to stretch before winning a Cavey.

Look at Cameron's scream of joy.

Okay, boys, I'll leave you to celebrate.

Favorite Submission Match: Chase Addams v Noah Samson (BGEast)

What I said then: "An extremely sexy showdown. Chase continues to find new and exciting ways to bend and shape willing (and occasionally unwilling) jobbers and get them to scream louder and beg harder. And Noah makes a perfect victim."

Once again, a ring match wins the submission award. It's just that heel AND jobber deliver repeatedly with innovative holds sold for all they're worth. There's the added mentor-mentee storyline, which makes me cheering for Chase to punish his ungrateful trainee from beginning to end. A virtuoso performance for both teacher and student.

A celebration spanking?

It takes two wrestlers working together
to win a match Cavey, Chase. 

Winning a Cavey shouldn't look this easy.

Favorite Contrast: Brendan Byers vs. Dante (Muscleboy Wrestling)

What I said then: "Brendan makes an intense and convincing heel as he crushes the younger, smaller stud. The age, size and experience differences all make this really interesting. As well, it's nice to see Brendan be so into his victim."

Age. Size. Experience. Storyline. These two are so different but it all just works. I did add my own story elements here, but all based on the contrasts between them.

Get up, boy. It's time to accept your Cavey.

Uh, Brendan? That's not the award.

Aw, a celebratory kiss.

Favorite Big Boy Battle: Derek Bolt vs. Dax Carter (Muscleboy Wrestling)

What I said then: "A really satisfying beefy boy battle. These two have a ton of chemistry and it feels like they really enjoy working together. I like the amount of action and the way it plays out."

So many options, but these two bring so much beef, brawn and beauty to the ring that it just stood out as a sexy and fun powerhouse showcase.

Uh, yeah, that's a lot of beef.

These muscle beasts can go all night!

Yep, that's a win, boys. Great job!

Favorite Fantasy Brought to Life: Dark Detective v Vengeance (Hero Hunks)

What I said then: "The guys are hot and fit their roles. Most of all, the action is right on for this pairing. Batman's bravery and Bane's savagery are on display. And of course, there are all those wonderful over-the-knee backbreakers. This is one I can see myself re-watching when I need a Bat-Bane fix."

Do I even need to explain? Everything just works. Love, love, love it.

Cavey winner? Sold.

Really sold.

Oh fuck. Really, really sold.

Favorite Gear Play: Gabe Steel v Marcus Ryan (Muscleboy Wrestling)

What I said then: "Gabe is a relentless heel who uses his size, strength and skill advantage to reduce the jobber boy to nothing. The mid-match stripping only adds to the action as it further emphasizes the young victim's place on the mats."

It's not often that I rave about a video and people feel like I gave it too little credit. This match is one where that happened. I gave it this award rather than something like squash or catchweight because the gear does play a role in elevating the experience and I thought it was a fun category.

Congratulations to both? No?

The gear played a role in this one.

One guy keeps his gear, one guy doesn't.
Beautiful.

Favorite Flirt Club: Aspen v Scrappy (Thunders Arena)

What I said then: "HUGE WINNER from Thunders. What an awesome match from this adorable pair of studs. They're both charming and mischievous, but it's the fast-paced, hard-hitting and sexually-charged action that elevates this match to a recent favorite."

Flirt Club is my name for matches where guys don't go fully erotic, but are obviously into each other. The sexual tension jumps off the screen and these two make an adorable couple. If someone else (e.g., MBW) wants to stage a re-match, I'll be all in.

Reach for the gold, guys.

You two are awesome together.

Aw, a kiss to seal their Cavey win.

Favorite Back-and-Forth: Elite Eliot vs. Kirk Donahue (BGEast)

What I said then: "A really good back-and-forth contest. Both guys look great and they're perfectly attired to suit their roles. I like how it's staged with the pro-style scenario and the face-heel rivalry. It's like the old 'pros in private' kind of deal."

There are always more squashes than back-and-forth matches, but this was a great video where both guys get their due. The guys battle until the end and each wrestler gives it his all. You can't ask for much more.

Did you hear, Kirk?

Get up! We won!

There's your fucking Cavey, Kirk.

Favorite Pro v Pro: Garrett Thomas v Channing Travolta 2 (Wrestler4Hire)

What I said then: "The kind of really well-executed pro match that you don't see these days. The moves and pacing are from another time, but it still feels fresh, entertaining and very sexy. I just love this kind of match. The guys are perfect for it and the both deliver stellar performances."

What made this is a winner is that it's very pro, but not like any pro match you see these days. From beginning to end, this is classic pro vs. pro action in the best sense of that phrase.

Garrett seems to be enjoying
this win more than Channing.

Yeah, knock some sense into the rookie, GT.

Is it worth the pain to win a Cavey?
Yes. Yes it is.


There were a lot of options this year and I think 2019 was better than 2018. I loved all of these and they held up for the whole year. Some matches get better, some get worse and some get forgotten. These were all remembered and all still evoke the same feelings as when I first watched them.

What about you? What matches this year do you remember most?

Alex



4 comments:

  1. Hot selection of matches. I especially liked Scrappy vs Joey & Garrett vs Channing. By the way, Eliot vs Kirk could also be considered pro vs pro as both are indy wrestlers. Kirk is known as Mike Marvel on the indies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I’d heard he wrestled pro and can believe it from his ability, but never knew who he was and if he was really a working pro.

      Delete
  2. Hey, no tag team awards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this year. I didn’t actually watch any tag matches. What one was your favorite this year?

      Delete