Sunday, April 7, 2019

Review: #635 Chase Michaels vs. El Fuego (UCW)

When I mentioned that I'd need to re-look at UCW in the wake of Austin Tyler's departure, a kind reader suggested that I check out El Fuego. He had completely escaped my notice, so I didn't really know if I'd appreciate the recommendation or not, but fortunately this reader seems to understand my tastes, because El Fuego is right up my alley.

El Fuego brings the fire to UCW against Chase.


I'm no UCW historian, so this is just my outsider's take, but man have they really evolved over just the last few years. They've managed to step up their talent game in the muscles and looks departments while keeping their unique approach to balls-to-the-wall, body-breaking action, actually delivering an NHB-feeling product that feels legit without being gross.

My perception of what defined a UCW guy has completely changed. I would've said a UCW guy was skinny, over-tattooed, under-showered, rough-around-the-edges, light on muscles and heavy on crazy. Marcus Ares was an outlier and became my first must-buy guy there. Next, Max Ryder came along and suddenly, the garage was filled with guys that I think are hot and who could work anywhere, like Kenny Star, Tyson the Hammer, Austin Tyler, Nero Angelo, etc.

More muscles than tattoos on these boys.

El Fuego fits my definition of 'new UCW'.

Long-time readers know that I've
been #teamchase since he debuted.

El Fuego is masked, so I don't know how good looking he is, but what a body. He's beautifully muscled with smooth tattoo-free skin and he looks like he smells fine. In addition to his physical appeal, he's a good fighter, moving smoothly around the mats with Chase Michaels. Lean bad boy and former champion Chase is a great opponent for anyone, but especially for a muscular masked man who knows how to wrestle.

The mask can't hide El Fuego's sweet swelling.

Chase isn't going to lose to a rookie!

Nice position, but El Fuego misses his
chance to go full UCW. He'll learn.

Action-wise, this is a mat match and very classic UCW. El Fuego comes across as the better 'wrestler', but technical prowess is seldom the deciding factor. Chase knows his way around the UCW mats. He uses low blows and a rope to keep things even. There are lots of scissors, chokes, arm and leg holds. I remember a Boston crab and spladle, too. It's fast-paced and rough, just like you'd expect. It's exhausting for the viewer and the wrestlers.

I thought the match might be headed to a 'trigger warning' when Chase starts up with, "You're kind of strong for a Mexican ... you guys sling bricks all day" and threat to "call Trump" and to "take [El Fuego] to the other side of that wall". It never goes past that early taunting around the 3-minute mark and so I left it off, but mention it here.

Chase knows how to handle a more skilled opponent.

El Fuego powers Chase into a nifty dragon sleeper.

Phew, we all need a break during this one.

In the end, El Fuego makes an impressive debut (technically, it's not his debut, but it is his debut for me). He's got a great body, solid wrestling skills and a cocky personality that fits right in at UCW. Like most masked guys, he's fun with that added air of mystery and danger.

What are other bloggers saying?


So that's my take. What's yours?

Alex

5 comments:

  1. Personally I like beef, so more muscles are always welcome. Masked muscle adds a bit of mystery and alter ego, which is fun. Looks like a good matchup here. And I do like me a dragon sleeper - wuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it’s more muscle for UCW, but doesn’t quite reach my definition of beef, yet.

      Delete
  2. Nope. Not beefy enough by far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew u would enjoy Fuego. His match against Max (who is beefy) was amazing.

    ReplyDelete