Monday, April 29, 2019

Review: Marco takes on the competition

If you follow Underground Wrestler, you likely got the same email I did. Marco is retiring from wrestling in front of the camera to focus on his work behind-the-scenes. His matches on UW will disappear tomorrow 5/1.


As far as his behind-the-scenes work, I will say that I was very pleased to see UW dabbling in virtual reality. It's something I commented on years ago when I first tried out a VR headset, so it's nice to see technology moving forward. However, not sure it's worth losing him as a wrestler, but I never begrudge anyone pursuing their goals. If this is what he needs to do, this is what he needs to do.

Marco doesn't want to get stretched too thin. 

Relax while you can, Marco. The hard part is coming.

As I thought about this development, I realized that I like the idea of producers being wrestlers. Maybe it's the Kid Leopard effect. Nowadays, you've got guys like Axel, Cameron and Marco (not any longer, I guess) all doing double duty. And fittingly for me to make a post is that Marco has faced both Axel and Cameron and he's done it on their turf. Bold!

Marco's invasion of UCW is full of respect.
Marco's a little more aggressive against Wrestler4Hire. 

As you might know, I created a little fantasy series called Battle of the Wrestling Stars (Season 1 and Season 2) for the blog. It was fun to think about, but also a fair amount of work, which is why there's no season three yet. Anyway, when Marco faces fellow wrestling site owners like Axel or Cameron, it's like the series has come to life.

So in the battle of the bosses, who comes out on top?

Marco vs. Axel (UCW 637 and it was on Underground Wrestler, because I'm sure that's how I got it, but it doesn't seem to be there now)

Who's bigger? UCW or Underground Wrestler?

In this match, Marco heads to UCW's new ring to take on Axel. They box for 5 minutes then wrestle in the ring before finishing up on the mats. I've never been a big fan of boxing, so the ring and mat action is the most interesting. There are nice holds, dirty tactics (it is UCW, after all), and intensity. It's remarkably peaceful, though. I like the camaraderie and respect shown, even as they fight to win.

In the end, I like the idea of these guys fighting over bragging rights and there's definitely overt tension here. They know they're both stars and this is a pretty big deal. It's not EPIC, but the underlying dynamics elevate every move and make it very enjoyable to watch.

It's always important to check out the competition.

Yeah, Marco came to play in this BOTWS.

Axel, you gonna let a guy come into your
house and do you like that? Come on!

Can Axel successfully defend his turf?

Or is the new kid on the block the new MAN on the block?

What are other bloggers saying?



Marco vs. Cameron Matthews (Wrestler4Hire)

Can Marco upend the competition?

This match is a completely different animal than the UCW-UW battle. There's no mention of their respective roles or reputations. There's no mention of much beyond Marco's desire to beat, bind and bring Cameron to his "dungeon". Yeah, I don't know what Marco's dungeon would entail, but I'm willing to imagine Cameron chained up and suffering. It's not hard to imagine here when he's cuffed and bare-assed (thanks to a brutal wedgie) for a lot of this.

I added the inter-promotional aspects, but that's not hard to do, either. Especially since this is a 100% squash that involves the initial sneak attack, bondage, humiliation and threats of 'taking Cameron's ass'. See, easy to add a few elements. And it's not that much of a stretch since in a previous match, Cameron wagered a 50% stake in W4H against Chase Sinn, so he's willing to go there.

In the end, if you like seeing Cameron destroyed, Marco does an extremely thorough job. It's a 28-minute video. There are a lot of low blows, there are wedgies and there are more typical wrestling moves.

Marco's got "the boss" of W4H right where he wants him.

Hm, looks like W4H's losing this BOTWS. 

Are we looking at Underground Wrestler4Hire Inc.?

Cameron makes the mistake of criticizing Marco's
sleeper. So Marco steps it up a notch.

Marco: "First order of business in the dungeon?
Take care of this ass."


Retirements don't always last, but no matter what happens, hopefully Marco is happy and successful.

Alex




8 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I can’t support Marco/Underground Wrestler anymore because he’s a homophobe. I’ve known him for a long time now and had many private matches. I recently hung out with him and a bunch of other wrestlers in Las Vegas and he made comments that honestly floored me. He said he was grossed out by most of his clientele and what they do with his videos. But, he’s “happy to take their gay money”. He’s probably leaving the screen because he’s slowly being found out for who he really is and wants to keep making money behind the camera. It’s really tough letting fans know this, but I think they deserve to know. I won’t be paying him for private matches anymore and won’t buy from his site. Too bad because some good talent there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is quite disappointing to hear.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I agree that is disappointing to read.

      I notice that Joe has decided to delete a similar comment. You can read his reason on his blog and it makes sense. I hate deleting comments. I have left up negative comments before and have decided to do so again.

      I’d rather leave it up and let people decide for themselves what they think. If you think I’m making a mistake, please let me know.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you left it up. The post was too late for me to decide as I stopped supporting Underground Wrestler as soon as I saw him using Davy Michaels. This guy has definitely made homophobic remarks and he was still used in a bunch of videos by Underground Wrestler. Marco must have known this when deciding to feature him in the videos! Like you said, everyone needs to decide for themselves. I give the original comment some credibility and the proven use of a homophobe just cements it. Maybe he should have a retirement of Davy's videos? Maybe that would help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Marco "retired"? Check out his website. The sale is gone but all of his videos are still there. I'd understand a day or two, but this just seems like a stunt to sell more videos and get more attention. This is another issue that puts a bad light on this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it’s now May 8 and all of his matches are still on his site. And he added a new one, so he’s been on it. Guess it was a gimmick. Bad form, Marco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely appears that I was sucked in by a marketing ploy. I never expected the retirement or match removal to last, but I did think it would at least start. LOL. Oh well, lesson learned.

      Delete