Sunday, April 28, 2019

Inspiration: Bearhugs

Wrestling site Bearhugger.net recently did a nice post about my little blog. I figured I'd say thanks with a bearhug-themed photo extravaganza. I haven't done a holds-specific post for a while and those were mainly to showcase more obscure moves. Unlike a stump puller, for example, I know I don't need to explain what a bearhug is or how it works. It's like something we're wired to know. So, let's just enjoy ...

Anyone can do a bearhug, but maybe not like that.
(Cason vs. Blayne, Thunders Arena)

A beast can bearhug a brute.
(Beast vs. Brute, Thunders Arena)

Skinny guys can do it.
(Tak vs. Eagle, Thunders Arena)

Super heavyweights can do it.
(Johnny Bravo vs. Brian Cage, Thunders Arena)
Smooth guys can bearhug.
(Chase Lundquist vs. Tanner Hill, 88Wrestling)

Hairy hunks can crush each other, too.
(Derek Bolt vs. Dax Carter, Muscleboy Wrestling)

Guys in singlets can be bearhugged.
(Viking vs. Bolt, Thunders Arena)

Or guys in squarecuts.
(Bruce Ballard vs. Alex Waters, Rock Hard Wresting)

Tight trunks are my personal favorite.
(Muscle Beast vs. Butch.J, Wrestlingmale)

But you can wear less, too. I won't mind.
(Beauxregard vs. Calvin Haynes, BGEast)

It looks and feels great in plain gear.
(Lucas Payne vs. Jake Jenkins, Rock Hard Wrestling)

Or you can be a little flashier.
(Calvin Haynes vs. Kirk Donahue, BGEast)

Maybe even get wild.
(Trent Blayze vs. Jonny Firestorm, BGEast)

The tighter the squeeze, the better it feels.
(Nick Flex vs. Gabe Steel, Muscleboy Wrestling)

Come on, man, don't let him do that! SQUEEZE!
(Iceman18 vs. Mark Muscle, Thunders Arena)

Of course, you can do it from the front.
(Lane Hartley vs. Kirk Donahue, BGEast)

Or from the back.
(Biff Farrell vs. Chet Chastain, BGEast)

Even upside down works.
(Vinny vs. Slash, Thunders Arena)

There are other benefits, too. I mean, his pec is right there.
(Quin Quire vs. Alex Costa, Muscleboy Wrestling)

And when you're done, maybe your opponent will
look up at you just like this. "I'm all yours, big boy!"
(Sean Maygers vs. Gabriel Cross, MBW)

Yes, I do love the bearhug. Thanks to Bearhugger.net for celebrating it!

Alex

4 comments:

  1. GREAT post, Alex, and an excellent selection of images and observations! I think my fan fiction stories leave no doubt about my love for this hold. It's definitely my favorite! I can't think of a better way to truly demonstrate one's power.

    It's a shame the bearhug isn't used nearly as often in professional wrestling today as it was in the past. To see and hear the crowd reactions from classic wrestling matches when two men were locked together in the hold, they were literally mesmerized. Thank goodness for the underground wrestling scene and its liberal use of the move! :)

    -JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pro wrestling fans seem to have very little patience for sustained punishment holds. I’ve described a lot of today’s wrestling as feeling like basketball. Fast-paced back-and-forth and only the last two minutes matters.

      And I think there’s the gay panic side, too. Oh my god, two men are in close contact with each other for a prolonged period of time! Sad. But that’s why the gay-oriented video sites exist, why we pay for wrestling and why indie pro on YouTube will never be enough for me.

      Delete
  2. OH man this is tasty... right in my zone of man action! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete